Saturday, October 17, 2015

October 17 – “A new discovery”

After a long day in my office I was ready for some physical exertion.  I was trying to decide of I really wanted to go over to Nathan’s and borrow his lawn mower when Chris asked me for a favor.  Stop.  That changes everything.  Always has.  Always will.  Forget the lawn mower.  Forget going outside.  I had a project request and I was in accomplishment mode.

Oh, what was the project?  She wanted me to download all the pictures and videos from her camera to the computer external hard drive.  Not exactly an outside job, but important nonetheless.  How else will she continue to be the go-to family photographer in those special moments that need to be captured forever?  The only difficult part was wading through, one by one, all the randomly named folders her pictures were filed under.  Fortunately we already have a chronological base for the photos on the hard drive, so it was just a matter of matching up dates.  It would have been helpful to have them in better order on the phone, and there was probably a way to do that, but I sure didn’t know it.  The job was accomplished, though.  She does want me to double check that all the videos made the transition as well, so I’ll add that to my list.  I even plugged my phone in while I was at it.  Most of mine were already done, so it didn’t take very long.  I do need to delete a lot, though.  Running out of space pretty quickly. 

After such an arduous job, I had to come up with something to move around a little bit.  So I asked Chris if she wanted to go on a bike ride.  Yep.  My idea.  Actually get on a bicycle on purpose.  She was happy to oblige, although she wasn’t sure it was really me doing the asking.  Hey, I love my wife.  I’ll do anything for her.  We made a quick jaunt around the neighborhood, and then I suggested we ride over and see Cailyn.  Of course that meant crossing over the deadly Jones Drive and Heards Lane busy streets.  But we were up for the challenge.  Only difficulty we faced was the ever-so-slight incline leading into their neighborhood.  Chris complained mightily about this evil mountain that had erupted on Galveston Island right in the path of her brand-new birthday bike.  With great effort she managed to negotiate the perilous obstacle.  We surprised Cailyn and April with our little visit (Nathan was still on his way home from an out-of-town conference), and made the return trek before darkness fell. 

We hadn’t been home long when we received a text from April.  They were returning our incursion upon their hospitality by inviting us to join them for a trip to a place called Bahama Buck’s.  We had never been before.  I had no idea what it was, but I agreed on the spot when Chris asked if I wanted to go.  Why not?  It’s actually a giant, glorified, indoor sno-cone shop.  About a million different flavors of sno-cones and smoothies and frozen lemonade and what appeared to be frappachinos of some kind.  I’m not much of a connoisseur of coffees.  It was pretty impressive.  Chris and I tried the cherry lime sno-cone.  April had something with cream and ice mixed together (No, not ice cream.  This looked to be more ice than cream).  Cailyn ordered a “princess.”  Imagine that.  Only thing was, she didn’t really like it.  It tasted like super sweet cotton candy.  I didn’t like it either.  Chris ended up switching treats with her and everybody was happy.  Not as happy as they were when we ended up having to pick up Daddy on our way home.  His truck wouldn’t stay started, but his two ladies were more than happy to welcome him home after his week-long conference.  He was tired but I’m pretty sure he couldn’t wait to carry through with his promise of a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippos with his daughter.  Atta boy, Daddy.

Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”


Father, thank you for giving Nathan and his buddies a safe trip back home.  Thank you for the extra bit of hospitality we received from our two girls.  Amen.

No comments: