Tuesday, October 13, 2015

October 13 – “I’ve gone and done it”

Well, now I’ve gone and done it.  Chris and I were walking in the neighborhood yesterday morning.  It was one of those times when my back felt pretty good.  As we came upon the last street, Chris asked me if I was heading home or continuing on.  Not one to push things too far, I said I would head home and she could continue for her three miles or however far she wanted to go.  To my surprise, however, she eased over next to me, took my hand, and said if I would promise her one thing, then she would come home with me right then.  That threw me.  What in the world could she want from me that would require a battlefield promise like this?  Of course I agreed.  In my heart that decision was made over forty years ago.  If she wanted something, I would do everything in my power, however meager that attempt might prove to be, to do anything she asked of me.  Just one of those love things, I guess.

And what was this dire necessity that was encroaching upon our pleasant walk?  “Promise me you’ll go for a walk with me again this evening.”  There it was.  Sounds simple enough, I know.  And there was never any moment that I would have refused.  But understand, evenings are when my back usually starts hurting, even on good days.  That scenario flashed in front of my eyes before I answered.  And then a second … Earlier in the walk I had commented that I thought it was time for us to get a new couch and chair.  Maybe we could go do that instead.  Productive, yes.  But it would no doubt necessitate driving into Texas.  That is rarely a good idea.  She nixed it anyway.  Something about paying off my hearing aids and medical bills first.  And finally, option number three presented itself in the far reaches of my consciousness.  Was I going crazy?  Where could that idea possibly have originated?  Nevertheless, it was there.  And once it forced its way into my waking thought processes, I was doomed.  Before I could help myself, the words tumbled from my mouth, “I know.  Let’s go to WalMart.  We need some fruit, and while there we can get the boy version of your bike for me and tonight we can ride bikes together.”  There I said it.  Actually volunteered to ride a bike.  She didn’t really believe me, of course, but I was serious.  Let’s get this done.

And so we did.  After checking out a Schwinn that was made for an ape (required really long arms to reach the handle bars, but had a comfortable looking seat), and another brand that was very skinny and looked like a rocket ship, we spotted exactly what we were looking for.  The boy version of Chris’ purple-powered pedal pusher.  No, it wasn’t purple (at least I don’t think it was), but it did come with the same cup holder that hers did.  I personally wanted to hold out for one of those little push bells or maybe a horn, but you take what you get, I suppose.  I don’t think Chris really believed it until we loaded it into the car, but it’s a done deal.  I now have a bicycle.  I also have my eyes on a new seat that I saw there at WalMart.  And a horn.  And a cell phone holder.  And a light …

Hebrews 10:23 says, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.”


Father, thank you for the inspiration my wife gives me to exercise in all sorts of unique ways.  Reminds me to be consistent in other areas of my life as well.  Amen.

No comments: