Monday, April 6, 2015

April 6 – “Easter on the beach”

Easter Sunday morning.  Sunrise service on the beach at 6:30.  Communion service at 10 a.m.  With a breakfast and egg hunt in between.  Our alarm went off at 4:15, calling us into action.  We quickly loaded our breakfast foods and briefcases into the car and drove into the darkness.  I had checked the weather app on my phone the day before, and it promised a 0%chance of rain from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.  I sure didn’t see any stars, though.  Or even the moon for that matter.  Not necessarily a good sign.  When I finally had a spare moment in between going over the teaching and my morning to do list, I checked again.  The projection had changed somewhat.  No, no somewhat.  A lot.  Now, between the hours of 6 and 8 a.m., there was an anticipated 100% chance of rain.  Exactly what we needed to hear as we were about to load up 50 chairs and a sound system and 400 programs and 400 gifts.  But a lot of people all over the country had already told me they were praying for this particular service.  I knew there was always a plan B, but I really didn’t think we would need it today.  And as it turned out, we did get a few light sprinkles, and it was too cloudy to actually see the sun rise, but it did get lighter and lighter, and there were plenty of seagulls serenading us.  But no rain. 

Trudging into the building with our boxes of supplies, scurrying around to get everything opened, typing hurriedly to enter songs and powerpoints into the worship computer, I suddenly felt more than heard my phone buzz to alert me to an incoming text.  Who in the world would be sending me a text before six in the morning - on a Sunday morning – and on Easter Sunday, at that?  Amidst all the flurry of activity, I had to stop a moment to check this one out.  It was from our youngest son, Nathan, the firefighter.  He had to work yesterday.  And all the text said was, “He is risen!”  Almost without thinking I typed in the appropriate response, “He is risen indeed!”  Nathan always did love the sunrise service, even as a little tyke.  But then, what tyke wouldn’t?  Church on the beach?  Come on …  And that tiny word of encouragement, coupled with the accompanying deep breath that followed, so lifted my spirits that I almost felt a little bit of a spring in my step.  I was ready to take on the day and the rain and whatever else might follow. 

Our beach set-up team was ready to go by 5:30.  They gathered up folding chairs and the sound equipment and headed over to get set up.  The Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department chief brought his truck out to the beach and fired up his heavy-duty lights to help our guys with set-up.  That was an unexpected blessing.  As I roamed around in the crowd before we began, some of the early-gatherers on the front row were concerned that the brightness might obscure their view of sunrise.  I assured them they would be off before we began the service.  In the meantime I encouraged them to pretend they were on a planet in another far off solar system with six suns.  Oh, and speaking of long distances, I also met a lady from England.  Long way to come for a sunrise service on the beach. 

We started out with three baptisms scheduled.  By the time we walked out of the water we had done nine.  There was the 16 year old boy who had been wanting to get baptized for two years.  His family never could work it out with their church.  That was one excited young man.  There was the Dad and his daughter from Houston.  Quite a special moment for the two of them to experience together.  Then there was the young daughter of Seaside’s lawyer.  But he’s more than just our lawyer.  He is truly a Seasider himself.  And he was right there beside his daughter, helping me with her baptism.  And there was a youngster who has grown up coming to Seaside on his family’s many trips to Galveston.  He’s a teenager now.  Fine young man.  The lady who has been coming regularly was there.  She was the one who wanted to be baptized on April 5th to honor her Mom who led her to the Lord and who died last year on the 5th.  As she came out of the water I whispered to her, “She’s happy.”  She beamed as she made her way to the shore.  Then came the second father/daughter combination.  I found out later that he was also the step-Dad of a young man who grew up coming to Seaside.  In fact, I’m pretty sure I baptized him several years before.  And he was there in the crowd to watch.  Pretty significant day for him as well.  And finally there was the older guy who gathered along with everyone else for the last-minute instructions.  As he listened intently, a single tear trickled down his cheek.  At the time I thought maybe it was a raindrop or maybe some salt spray.  He even stepped up to help me with a few of the other baptisms.  But when he came out of the water, he cried like a baby and hugged me really tight.  I guess the emotions were quite real.  Yes, the water was quite cold this year.  In fact, as we exited the water that Jamaica Beach fire chief was standing there with one of those emergency heat blanket packets for each one of us. 

Our community breakfast and kids’ Easter egg hunt followed the service, and a few hundred of those who attended the service joined us.  I guess I didn’t mention yet … our best estimate of how many were out on the beach came to somewhere north of 400.  Our greeters estimated at least 460.  With people coming from all directions at once, it is impossible to make an accurate count, but that’s quite a few folks willing to brave the elements to worship the Lord.  I rarely get to change from my wet clothes right away and yesterday was no exception.  It is just so much fun to talk to the different people and hear their stories of how many of the services they have attended over the years.  They proudly declare, “This is our fourth in a row.”  Or “We have a streak going.  Hope we can do better that Kentucky.” (The night before the Kentucky basketball team lost their first game all year after 38 wins in a row).  Or the one older couple who insisted “We’ve been coming for 40 years.”  That’s great, and I’m glad someone was doing it before us, but we’ve only been hosting for 21 of those 40.  Several couples told me they had been looking for a church here in Galveston and they thought they might just have found one.  I got a kick out of one lady who approached me with a wad of money in her hand.  “Here’s a donation.  I live next door here to the church.  You remember me?  I’m gonna join this here church.”  And with that she walked out.  Well, then … welcome to Seaside.

At the 10 a.m. service one of the fire fighters brought his wife and brand new baby girl for her first Easter.  He used to come to Seaside back in the earliest days before I was even here.  That would be between 20 years ago when we came and 25 years ago when the mission began.  He even remembered the old foosball table we used to have.  Watch out, Josh.  That means you’re getting old.  I was glad April and Cailyn came as well, so they would have a familiar face to connect with.  Chris told me that during the service Cailyn leaned over to her and asked when the egg hunt was.  Chris cringed.  It had already occurred.  Cailyn was really sad to hear she had missed it, but good old Nana came to the rescue.  After the service she rustled up some eggs and candy and quickly put together a private Easter egg hunt in my office.  Cailyn was happy as she could be.

Yesterday was also Dave and Nicci’s last Sunday with us.  They are winter Texans from Illinois, and extended their stay a few extra days so they could help out with the sunrise service.  They have made a home here with us, so they will be greatly missed.  Lauren got the a card and a bunch of us had a chance to write our well-wishes. 

One guy asked me as they were leaving if we did anything at Christmas.  I told him about our Christmas Eve service.  He said he would probably come back for that, since his neighbor (a Seasider) had told him he was a C&E Christian (Christmas and Easter).  His wife assured me they would come before Christmas. 

Whew.  Quite the Easter Sunday.  Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed!

Matthew 28:2 says, “There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.”


Father thank you for showing your presence in an incredible way … again.  Amen.

No comments: