Saturday, April 11, 2015

April 11 – “A Late-Night Phone Call”

On Thursday night I had just settled into bed for a long-awaited night’s sleep (I know, sounds like The Night Before Christmas, right?).  I had finally reached that state of grogginess where continuing any further attempts at my usual pre-sleep crossword puzzle would have proven futile.  I had just reached over and turned the light out, when a raucous chorus of Take Me Out To The Ball Game led by Donald Duck, pierced the bedroom.  Recognizing that unmistakable melody as my cell phone ring, I grabbed for it quickly.  See, those late-night phone calls are not ones you eagerly anticipate as a pastor.  Most of the time it involves some emergency or another that necessitates either a quick trip to the emergency room or a long telephone counseling session. 

Struggling to focus on the caller ID, I realized the second greatest fear of a late-night call: when the caller is one of your kids.  That just amps up the intensity another notch or two.  Which grandkid is sick?  Why did they call my phone instead of Chris’?  Is it a Waco call?  Waco takes four hours to get to, so what do we absolutely need to pack?  No, wait.  This one is just LaMarque.  We can get there in ten or fifteen minutes and not have to pack at all.  Chris will want to go.  Better get her up first.  I was almost exhausted with planning before I ever said hello.

I finally managed to locate the swipe bar at the bottom of the screen, and just before I made the tell-tale left-to-right move that would release whatever news this was upon my consciousness, I happened to glance upward just a little bit.  And I saw what time it was.  10:10.  Wait.  I just came to bed about fifteen minutes ago.  This doesn’t really count as a late-night emergency call at all.  This is more of an old-coot-went-to-bed-before ten, ha-ha-ha, you’re-old call.  That changed everything.  As my fingers finally made the swipe, I gathered myself together.  Can’t let them know that just moments before I was in a veritable stupor.  There.  Ready.

Almoist before my “Hello” was out of my mouth, the voice of my oldest grandson Jachin exploded from the receiver.  “Hey, DadDad!  I got a hit!”  And I was awake.  Fully.  This was great news.  You gotta understand.  Jachin had just broken out of his first Little League hitting slump.  And this wasn’t one of those dribblers that the catcher threw over the first baseman’s head.  He’s left-handed and he smacked one into right field.  That means he swung with confidence and pulled the ball.  Talk about a little grandparently pride.  And while I was basking in that news, he almost slipped another one past me.  Seems he also got to pitch for the first time.  Wait.  First hit AND first pitching opportunity?  And he did pretty well on the mound.  No, there’s more.  AND they won the game 14-2.  It was enough to make a doddering old, baseball-loving DadDad’s head spin.  I assured him that I was really proud of him.  Of course I knew he could do it all along.  And I made sure that Nana heard all the details that I could remember as soon as I hung up.  Not the sort of news that you keep to yourself.

I felt really special to get that call.  At first I thought that it just shows how little it takes to make me happy these days.  But no.  There’s nothing little about your first hit and your first chance to pitch.  That was a BIG deal.  Thanks, Jachin, for the late-night (that wasn’t so late after all) phone call.  Thanks for letting me share in your excitement.

Isaiah 49:13 says, Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains!  For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.”


Father, thank you for the little pleasure of a baseball good news phone call.  Kind of charges me up to receive a boatload of late-night emergency calls now.  Amen.

No comments: