Monday, April 13, 2015

April 13 – “A fire department Hero Nod”

I got accused of being a hero the other day at WalMart.  Very strange feeling.  As Chris and I were checking out in the 20 items and under line right by the door, I noticed that the checker was gazing at me.  But yet, it was not exactly at me.  Hard to explain.  She never really looked into my eyes.  It was kind of eerie, to be honest.  The kind of stare that makes you want to check to make sure your zipper is up.  It took me until she was almost through with our purchase to realize she had to be staring at my fire department cap.

I guess the reverie must have passed for her, because she suddenly came back to the world and asked, “Are you in the fire reserves?  You guys are heroes over there.”  Chris informed me later that she must have thought I was in the military.  I explained that I was the chaplain of the Galveston Fire Department, and as such I didn’t have to run into burning buildings, thus greatly diminishing any chance that I could be included in the hero category.  Ignoring my protestations, she smoothly shifted gears, and still with that sense of awe like she was talking to some sports superstar asked, “Do y’all have a lot of volunteers in that department?”  Not so much in Galveston,” I replied, “but Jamaica Beach has an entire department made up of volunteers.”  That brought a “Wow.”  By this time she was handing me the receipt and slowly shaking her head from side to side.  As we walked away, just above a whisper, she offered, “Be safe out there.” 

OK.  I put together this account so the guys in the Galveston and Jamaica Beach fire departments could read it and receive her awe and words of encouragement.  They are the ones it should be correctly addressed to.  I add my own sense of admiration to those guys in both departments.  I am proud to work with and represent you in the small capacity I am able to.  And I echo her final words to you guys, “Be safe out there.”

2 Corinthians 6:3-10 says,We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry. In everything we do, we show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind.  We have been beaten, been put in prison, faced angry mobs, worked to exhaustion, endured sleepless nights, and gone without food.  We prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love.  We faithfully preach the truth. God's power is working in us. We use the weapons of righteousness in the right hand for attack and the left hand for defense.  We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors.  We are ignored, even though we are well known. We live close to death, but we are still alive. We have been beaten, but we have not been killed.  Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We own nothing, and yet we have everything.”


Father, once again I ask that you surround the fire fighters with your protection and with a deep sense of your presence, especially when they rush to a call.  I know their instincts kick in once they are on site, but in those moments right before and those hours after a call, please give them a sense of assurance that you are with them.  Amen.

No comments: