Thursday, April 2, 2015

April 2 – “Dad’s Day at the Playground”

So how did your April Fool’s Day go?  My only experience with prankdom for the entire day came when I was pushing Cailyn in the swing at the park after school.  She kind of blew her cover by reminding me what day it was first.  Then she informed me that I had poop on my shoes.  Of course I reacted rather insanely … pretty much as she had hoped.  As a result the poop made its way to my pants and then to my shirt.  Thankfully one of her classmates showed up and wanted to take over my task of pushing her, so the subject changed.  You can’t be talking about poop when a boy your own age wants to push you in the swing.  Just not very romantic, I guess, even for six-year-olds.  I did appreciate the kid’s gesture, though.  I’m sure it was all about relieving the old man from an arduous task that obviously was taxing the limits of his capabilities.  I’m certain it had nothing to do with the beautiful vision of kindergarten loveliness gracing the very air as she sliced through it, back and forth.  There.  I hope those are enough assurances to calm down a certain protective Daddy I know. 

I did get to talk to some of the other male-type adults there in the park.  Must have been “Dad/Granddad pick up the kids day” at school.  One of the Dads we have seen a lot of in our after-school playground fun times.  He approached me and shook my arthritic hand for the first time.  Very firm grip.  It hurt.  Seems like a really nice guy, though.  Another fellow was new to the playground scene.  I knew right away who he was, though.  I have met him before, but he has his picture in the paper every week.  It was Peter Davis, the chief of the beach patrol here on the Island and writes an article for them.  Our talk in between grunts (he was entertaining a granddaughter as well.  Oh, and the grunts were mine.  He’s in amazing shape, so don’t worry if you’re ever in a position to need him to rescue you.  He can handle it) centered around fire department connections we both know at the Jamaica Beach VFD.  Chief Kyle Baden and Assistant Chief Russell Rupertus, sorry you couldn’t hear what was said about you.  It was all good.  We both agreed that we really appreciate you guys and the work that you do.  I let him know that Seaside was honoring the department at the Easter sunrise service this year, and he agreed that it was an honor well-deserved.

And speaking of Easter, today is a full one with preparations for the services, so I’m off. 

2 Kings 22:20 says, “Therefore I will gather you to your fathers, and you will be buried in peace.”


Father, thank you for the opportunity to spend time with my grandkids before they get to rest with me in heaven.  As fun as I’m sure that will be, it’s a lot of fun here as well.  Amen.

No comments: