Tuesday, April 28, 2015

April 28 – “Brave the Bikes”

Every so often Galveston plays host to a big triathalon event.  Sometimes it is a whole one, a grueling affair of swimming a few miles, bicycling a lot of miles, and running a marathon.  This past weekend was “just” a half-triathalon.  Only a mile and a half in the water, 56 miles or so on the bike, and just over thirteen miles running around Moody Gardens.  How can anyone do such a feat of endurance?  That part I get.  After all, I used to be a runner back in my younger years.  A boatload of training and the determination of a hungry kid reaching for an unattended cookie jar.  It’s the “why” that has begun to elude me as I have gotten older.  Oh, I can say the words.  “Because it’s there.” (So is Mount Everest.  Hey, so is the bathroom when I wake up in the morning).  “To show that I am the best I can be.” (So join the Marines).  “To test my own limits (That distance gets shorter and shorter every year).  To beat my personal best time.”(That’s code for, “I know I can’t win this race, but I want to do it anyway and this gives me an excuse that sounds really noble.”  Actually I’m just kidding on this one.  It’s probably the best reason for doing something crazy like this.).  “To get the free T-shirt” (Now you are approaching my reasons for running all those years ago).  

The bicycle portion of the race runs right past Seaside, and over the years we have seen our share of racing.  Not all of it has been good, though.  Chris and I saw a bike in the ditch with an ambulance parked nearby on our way home from church.  Once we watched in horror as a bicycler ran head first into one of the roadsigns.  Knocked him off his bicycle and damaged the bike so much he was unable to continue.  Of course he wasn’t medically cleared to continue anyway.  We have seen some “over-zealous” police officers refuse to allow people to turn into the church parking lot, although that has changed as our relationship with the Jamaica Beach public servants has grown more and more positive.  This year the fire chief parked his vehicle on the edge of our lot to do his part in directing traffic, and we had one of our Seaside reserve officers out there as well.  We even have a Seasider who competes when she can.  Yes, I said “she.”  Dale is a woman who is shorter than me, and quite pretty, actually.  But she is in such good physical shape that I would never want to get on her bad side.  She encouraged the church the other day to stand outside and encourage the bikers as they passed the church.  Now that will be a great idea for a ministry project next time there is a race. 

The only roads between our house and the church double as the bicycle track for the morning, so Chris and I have gauged our timing to know when we have to reach the end of the seawall to be in the best position to beat the fastest of the swimmers.  This year’s entries must have been some elite ones, though.  We were right on our time (well, actually we were one minute behind time), but at the end of the seawall cars were at a dead stop.  A veritable horde of bicyclers was turning the corner.  That has never happened before.  What a difference one minute makes.  It took twenty minutes to work our way to the front of the line of cars.  Didn’t bode well for folks waiting until the last minute. 

As it turned out, we had a pretty solid attendance Sunday.  Enough folks braved the bikes to come together for worship.  Now we need to get started on that “encourage the bikers” idea.  Hmm.  How about holding up goofy signs?  Here’s a start: “Gulf of Mexico: One Block South”  “It’s not Tuesday yet”  “Honk if you feel like you’re going in circles.”

Colossians 3:23-24 says, Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”


Father, please do a work of healing on that biker we saw who was injured.  Thank you for protecting the others.  Amen.

No comments: