Sunday, April 12, 2015

April 12 – “Double header”

Well, now that was an interesting start to a wedding.  As I waited in the lobby of a very nice hotel, talking with the photographer for the same wedding I was about to perform, the hotel wedding coordinator walked up to inform us that the wedding was going to be a little late getting started.  Not that unusual a situation for any wedding, but Stacy had “that look” in her eye.  I knew something more was forthcoming.  Sure enough, she continued.  Seems the bride had decided that she really didn’t like the professionally applied make-up job she had just spent the afternoon receiving.  So she was currently in the shower washing it all off.  I desperately wanted to appear as nonchalant as possible, but I just couldn’t stand it.  I pulled out my phone to check the time.  Fifteen minutes before the scheduled start time for the wedding.  You’re right, Stacy.  This one will be a bit late. 

As usually happens, though, the bride made her way down the elevator, only fifteen or twenty minutes late, and we hurried out to the gazebo to get started.  It was a really small wedding, only 15 or 20 people.  They did have some kids involved, though.  Two flower girls and a ring bearer.  And there had been no rehearsal, so this was an opportunity in the making for something fun to happen.  As the bride turned into the aisle to start her walk, the kids began their.  The two little flower girls walked side by side.  Each held onto a side of … one gallon sized baggie full of rose petals.  And as they walked they did a masterful job of reaching in and dropping them on the grass.  Trailing them was the ring bearer with his pillow carrying the real-live wedding rings.  The essence of cute all the way around.

The ceremony went really well.  I only had to tell them three times which hand was their right one.  And no, the little guy didn’t drop the rings in the grass.  In fact, it took the groom a long time to even get them untied from the pillow.  All was well, though, and they knot was officially tied.  I hung around and talked with the folks for a few minutes. 

I met the groom’s Mom.  Divorced, she told me she was going to a Bible College in Colorado Springs.  She has to write a wedding ceremony next semester, so she was really paying attention to what I said.  I was surprised that she had never heard a wedding with plan of salvation before.  That’s one of my non-negotiables.  I told her to email me, and I would send her a copy of mine.  Most of the crowd left for a reception dinner at Willie G’s.  But their day was not over, by any means.  See, that all occurred from around 1:15 to 2:00 or so.  But something else was on tap to occur by eight that night.  The groom’s Dad … was getting married.  Same location.  Same musician.  Same pastor.  I made my way home to grab a bite to eat and crash for an hour or two. 

The second wedding actually took a page from the Seaside miracle handbook.  All indications were that it was going to rain.  It was even sprinkling a bit when I was walking in from the parking lot.  The wedding went on as scheduled, however.  And just as we completed the last group photo, the unmistakable raindrops began to fall.  I think a few more photos followed in the rain, but I made my way back to the car and on home.  So … two weddings in the same day, father and son.  I think I’ll remember this one for a long time to come. 

Psalms 32:11 says, Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!”


Father, walk with both of those couples as they start two new families that are actually one.  Amen.

No comments: