Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30 – “The rocks cry out”

We had a really great day at church yesterday.  Palm Sunday.  Not that the crowd was overly huge (we were right at 40 again, a solid core number for us) or that we had some kind of incredible offering (Although one lady did tell me she was really excited to have found on our website that she could give electronically.  Apparently the only check she writes has been to Seaside.  What a New World we live in.  But other than that, I have no idea how much came in).  I think the thing that made it seem so special was the involvement of so many folks. 

We had a Body Life service, where the people were asked to come prepared to be worship leaders.  I still did a teaching, albeit a shortened one.  In our study of the Gospel of John we are right at the crucifixion, and I was determined to finish the crucifixion before Easter.  We got down to Jesus’ quietly victorious “It is finished” and the supernaturally explosive echo of the victory, with an earthquake and people coming out of their graves and the veil of the Temple ripping from top to bottom.  Pretty praise-worthy stuff.  I actually did the teaching right at the beginning of the service, so it led right into kind of a Palm Sunday flashback of praise, giving us a reason to make our praise heartfelt.  Right after the teaching (which I began draped in a shroud.  I threw it off when I got to the supernatural echo part.  Just a little dramatic touch), everyone went to one side of the room or the other where baskets of palm fronds were waiting.  They picked up a frond and then traded it with someone from the opposite side of the room, sharing a word of encouragement as well.  That exercise went really well.  They didn’t want to stop.  The main part of the worship experience, though, came with the individual sharing.  Someone brought up a beautiful painting of Jesus on what looked like a strip of bark off of a tree.  One lady told the story of the three trees to the kids sitting on the front row.  Made them feel really special.  One of the young teenagers sang a song.  Several people shared personal testimonies and favorite scriptures.  One of my favorite parts was during our prayer time.  As an act of adoration, I asked everyone to call out names of God to him.  The response was really exciting.  Lots of folks got involved, and I even saw a tear or two, just from hearing God’s name spoken.  Powerful stuff.  Powerful name.

The closing involved everyone taking their palm frond, placing it on the ground at the foot of our cross, and taking up a cross of their own, one made out of palm fronds.  Then they invited someone to join them at the communion station to share in that kind of worship together.  And after that they traded crosses.  It was a really strong picture of community.  As a final charge I reminded them about the time the religious leaders told Jesus to keep his followers quiet.  He replied, “If the people are quiet, the rocks will cry out.”  Earlier I had told Cailyn that story and she drew me a picture of some rocks singing and clipped a palm cross to the corner.  That’ll be a special memory for me.  So I encouraged them to come together as a family and find or create a special Palm Sunday reminder of their commitment to Jesus.  Pick up a shell at the beach or a rock in the back yard and remember … if you don’t praise Jesus, that rock or shell will do it for you.  I for one don’t want a rock doing my praising.

Psalms 5:3 says, “In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.”


Father, I knew there was something special about mornings.  Amen.

No comments: