Thursday, March 26, 2015

March 26 – “Tyranny of the urgent”

Rheumatologist appointment up in Texas yesterday.  I did get some good news this time.  The medicine combo I’m on now actually seems to be working.  At least as far as pain is concerned.  The swelling is still around, but I can live with that if the pain is under control. I can do quite a few things now without pain that would have stopped me before.  I still get a twitch or two in the morning when I first wake up, but it usually passes as I get moving around.  Mornings are like that.  Great pain removers if you just give them time.  Joy comes in the morning, you know.  Guess my doc agrees with that.  He said to leave everything as is and come back to see him in six months.  That’s a big stretch from the usual 6 weeks or three months.  I’ll take it.

We decided to do Luby’s for our celebration lunch.  It’s right around the corner from the doc’s office.  Chris had her usual – Luann liver and onions.  I went English and had fish and chips.  It was still the same cod they offer, but it is usually smushed up and formed into a neat little rectangle.  At least with the fish and chips it looked like a fried fish. 

We stopped off at Home Depot on the way home.  That meant my afternoon plans were now secure.  We bought another ten bags of dirt for our hole-filling job, some mulch for the flower beds we’ve been cleaning out, and a bush to fill in one of the open spaces in the back yard.  And we did work in the yard.  Oddly enough, not with the stuff we bought though.  I mowed the grass.  Chris repotted some plants.  That makes three days in a row that we have worked in the yard, and I still have not even approached a palm tree.  And we have plenty left to do, too.  Tyranny of the urgent.  Making the palm crosses for Sunday will not become urgent until tomorrow.  In the meantime, there’s always … wait … what was that? … thunder?  Hmm.  Maybe I’ll get some work done inside today.

Matthew 6:33-34 says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”


Father, thank you for your assurance that worry is not necessary.  Forgive me when I do it anyway.  Amen.

No comments: