Monday, March 23, 2015

March 23 – “It’s coming”

I got up at my usual time yesterday morning.  Chris had had a rough night – lots of coughing and tossing and turning - so I did my best to stay quiet, even during my morning routine in the bathroom with my proverbial noisy approach to brushing teeth (can I help it of I use a battery operated toothbrush?).  I had some breakfast, wrote in my blog, and even went over the teaching.  At about ten minutes until eight (we usually leave at eight) I went in to check on her.  By then she is usually already out of the shower and gathering her Bible and notebook together.  Not this time.  She was dead to the world in bed.  I gently touched her shoulder to make sure she was OK, and she jerked to life, asking what time it was.  I assured her all was well, and that I could manage by myself.  I just wanted to let her know I was leaving.  She apologized, but didn’t argue.  I don’t think it took her long to fall back to sleep.   By yesterday afternoon she was feeling much better, but she still has that lingering cough.  I think it will be our house guest for several more days before it decides to move on. 

Church went really well.  The lady from Waco who is a member at Josh’s church was back.  She’s the one who never made the connection that he was my son until I mentioned him in a sermon one day when she was here.  A young pregnant lady was on the second row all by herself.  Seems she and her family were staying in a friend’s house, but they really like Galveston.  She wants to move here full time, or least buy a house of their own here.  As we talked we found out that we had several things in common.  They live in Northwest Houston, as we did many years ago.  They go to church in the Heights area of Houston, as we did many years ago.  And they are dealing with the ins and outs of her mother living with them, as mine did for many years.  We decided that we need to just get together and talk.  Sure enough, that afternoon we were invited to join them for coffee sometime in the future.  As soon as Chris conquers this cough thing, we’ll touch base with them.  I introduced myself to another couple only to find out that he was the guy who wrote to us from prison.  He told me “The last time you saw me I had a pony tail.”  He’s right about that one.  But he looked great, and it was good to meet his wife.  Looks like they are really working hard to get their life together and find a church they can plug into.  They live in Santa Fe, but we have several other folks who drive in from there.  You just gotta decide that the drive is worth it.  He volunteered to help with Easter setup.

Speaking of Easter, there seems to be a lot of excitement about it this year.  I got an email from a lady in Houston who wanted to know if the service was really going to be “on the beach in the sand.”  She said she will be there.  People are approaching me after just about every service asking how they can help out that morning.  I think Cory will have a strong contingent to help him with chairs and the trailer and the generator and the sound system.  Wes is bringing his guitar and I think he’ll have at least a few people singing with him as they lead worship.  Several ladies have indicated they will be around to help with breakfast.  The lady who is going to be baptized was back and still excited about it.  There is still a lot to actually come together, but I think God is on the move on this one.  Can’t wait.

Psalms 13:5-6 says, “But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.”


Father, keep on moving.  We’re doing our best to keep up with you.  Amen.

No comments: