Sunday, March 29, 2015

March 29 – “The grandparent shuffle”

Chris made her way into the fray of soccer games yesterday.  She had responsibility for Josiah while Christina took Micah to his game.  Josiah ended early enough that Chris was then able to make it to half of Micah’s game.  Gotta love that grandparent shuffle.

Oh, and speaking of shuffle, I went to the Hitchcock Little League Opening Day parade and ceremonies with Kel and Jachin.  Each team decorated a trailer and the kids tossed candy to the crowd as they drove through town following one of the fire trucks from the volunteer department.  Now these were baseball teams, mind you.  So actually being in the crowd was a risk.  These kids were tossing candy “at” people rather than “to” them.  Or they tried to get it into the beds of trucks or, heaven forbid someone leave a car window open.  My favorite shot was when a youngster was squatting down gathering up some candy from the ground.  The kid next to me on the float stood up and managed to fire one right behind the kid’s neck and down his shirt.  Couldn’t do that again if he tried all week.  And yes, that means I road on the float, too.  WooHoo.

The parade ended at the baseball fields where the teams gathered for the big opening ceremony event.  Each team was introduced.  All of them.  I mean each kid had his name called and he had a moment in the sun.  That was followed by the pledge of allegiance and the Little League pledge.  Finally they played one of those versions of the National Anthem where the singer makes up her own way of belting it out.  I really don’t like those.  I want to sing along.  This one was certainly no match for one I heard on FaceBook.  It was sung in person by Seasider in Exile Emily Morgan at her own opening Day in Kerrville.  She was in uniform all ready for her own game.  Now that was impressive. 

We met Chris and Christina back at Kel’s after watching an inning or two of the first game.  Coach Kel had to do a little scouting.  Chris and I left to head back to Galveston – along with a couple hundred thousand tourists.  We ended up working in the backyard for the rest of the afternoon.  I added ten more bags of dirt to our sinkhole and re-leveled the patio blocks.  Chris weeded and cleaned out the last flower bed back there.  It’s really looking nice.  Come take a look some time.  We decided not to brave the tourist traffic, so we missed out on Jachin’s baseball game.  Hope they did well. 

At some point in the afternoon Cailyn called and ask if she could spend the night and go with us to church this morning.  So she and Chris are still dozing, catching those last few winks before facing the day.  Gives me an extra few minutes to go over the teaching for today.  Guess I’d better get at it …

Psalms 3:3-4 says, “But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.  To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill.”


Father, bless all these kiddos as they embark on another summer of baseball and soccer and whatever else comes to draw on their parents’ time and energy … and patience.  Amen.

No comments: