Friday, March 27, 2015

March 27 – “Little Jay”

We finally bit the bullet yesterday.  Now there’s an interesting turn of the phrase, isn’t it?  I assume it dates back to the Old West days of no anesthesia.  When you got shot, you had to bite on a bullet to stifle the pain while the town dentist dug out the offending bullet.  At least that’s how it always went on the TV Westerns.  Now it means making it through a tough situation.  So … tough situation.  Chris is still using the computer we bought after Hurricane Ike back in 2008.  There are three or four of the letter designations missing from the keyboard.  Not a problem if you know how to type, I guess.  But for us hunt and peck officionados, it can be a real problem.  Which explains why Chris is the one using it.  So … we got a new computer.  And as it turns out, I will be the one with the new one and she will use the one I’ve been using.  But don’t get up in arms just yet.  I’m kind of jealous.  Now I have to wade through learning Windows 8.  And I have yet to hear anything positive about it.  I haven’t had much time to play with it, but it appears to be a glorified attempt to duplicate an iphone on a massive scale.  It took me a while, but I finally figured out that what they are calling “apps” are just the “programs” of Windows 7.  Means the same thing.  I have to learn a whole new lingo.  At least it let me load Office 2010 instead of forcing me to go with the 2013 version.

We did a lot of research on this one.  In fact we even tried to buy one through the hp website twice.  Got to the point of pulling the trigger when it just wouldn’t go any further.  Nothing.  No error code.  I talked to one of their “experts,” but finally gave up.  We checked several other websites, and finally decided to go with the one at Office Depot.  It’s an hp, but it also has one of those touch screens.  Very strange.  It still works with a mouse, though, so I can keep my old guy ways.  Windows 8?  The jury is still out. 

The youngster who helped us at Office Depot here in Galveston did a great job tracking down the one we chose.  He also looked eerily familiar.  He got our package up to the checkout stand and ran into a problem with our Office Depot card.  We use it so seldom that every time we do the computer makes us start over again and reapply.  I didn’t want to deal with that, and we have saved up to pay it off when the bill comes anyway, so we just put it on our Discover Card.  They like us there.  He did notice my fire department cap, though, and asked if I was with the department.  As soon as he did, I knew where he came from.  Well, at least who his Dad was.  He was the spit’n’image of Jay Jacob.  I told him I was the chaplain, and he said his Dad worked there.  I assured him I knew exactly who his Dad was.  Found out his name and he even confessed that he was known as “Little Jay.”  I assume that would be among family members.  Well, Little Jay, or Ethan … you did a bang-up job.  Thanks for the assistance.

Proverbs 23:24-25 says, “The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.  May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice!”


Father, watch over Ethan and his family.  He represented them well.  Bless him for that.  Amen.

No comments: