Thursday, March 12, 2015

March 12 – “men in blue … and darker blue”

I made a trip out West the other day.  I did have to go by Seaside to check on some supplies, but my main purpose was to locate the last of the fire department Daddy’s that we had a baby Bible for.  Well, not for the Daddy exactly.  It was for his baby.  I’ve been trying to connect with Steve for more than a month now.  He works out of station eight, so that meant a trip to Sea Isle.  It was good to finally catch him on duty on a day when I could make the trip.  Oh, and I found out that we have another pregnancy happening.  Congrats to the Beall’s who just found out they are expecting. 

I also stopped by station seven on my way back to town.  They were having a big unofficial conclave with a police officer who stopped by.  It was a guy I met at one of the fires a while back.  Always good to see the men in blue and the men in - hmm, I can’t say men in red, can I? – so the men in darker blue developing positive relationships.  I even got to talk about some future marriage meetings with one of the guys whose wedding I’ll be performing in November.

Yesterday I went to the Galveston Ministerial Alliance meeting.  Incredibly diverse group.  They met at the synagogue and representatives from the Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Methodists, and Baptists were all there as well.  The main topic of discussion was a Juneteeth parade being organized.  I was quite impressed with the lady doing the presenting.  She said she wanted the day to be “about honoring the past, sure, but also about casting a vision for the future of Galveston.”  Her goal is “moving forward together in one accord.”  I’m pretty sure God will honor that woman’s heart.  I know he really loves unity within his Body (aka the Church).  The close of the meeting was rather unexpected.  We all stood around the table and held hands – not the unusual part, by the way.  But then we were led in a song.  Also not so unusual in concept, but the song was “We shall overcome.”  Brought back all kinds of memories from my almost-hippie days.  Of course I was too young to be considered an actual hippie, but I did manage to catch the Jesus Freak movement as a senior in high school.  The toughest part to handle about that whole experience, though, came when I told Josh about it last night.  He had never heard the song.  What a … child.

Jeremiah 17:14 says, “Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.”


Father, keep on inspiring unity among your body.  Amen.

No comments: