Tuesday, December 9, 2014

December 9 – “On Dramatic, and Vision, and What not to touch”

After surprising Josh at his mini-piano concert (that would be in reference to the size of the piano, not so much the length of the concert), Zak asked us if we were spending the night.  Here’s the interchange that followed:
Me: “We want to, but we don’t have a place to sleep.”

Zak (excitedly revealing the plan he had been brewing since seeing us): “We have a place, you can stay with us!”

Caleb (matter-of-factly): “Yes, you can stay in our guest room.”

Me: “You have a guest room?”

Zak: “Yes, we do.  Our guest room is also where me and Caleb go to break each other’s arms whenever Mom is putting Luke down for a nap.”

Me: _________________

Ah, the thrills of homeschooling with a baby in the house.

While we were talking and teasing Josh about not recognizing his own parents, someone pulled the fire alarm at the church.  Let me just say this … it worked.  It was very loud, and a fire engine was automatically dispatched.  Fortunately one of the members present was an off-duty fire fighter, so he met the crew responding and explained the situation.  I got to meet them, too.  Gotta say, they weren’t too impressed with my whole chaplain ID thing.  Cordial enough, but I guess more focused on the task at hand. Or maybe a bit peeved at being torn away from whatever riveting Sunday night drama was gracing the TV screen.  Anyway, the culprit was a mischievous child, not related to me in any way … this time.

On the way home the boys rode with us.  I’m not exactly sure how this conversation began between Zak and Chris.  Nani was the one who initiated it.  But I have to admit, I was fascinated.

Zak: “I’m gonna have horses and an airport on my ranch.”

Nani: “What else will you have on your ranch?”

Caleb(Softly, since he was not part of the original conversation): “The Alamo.”

Zak: “Cows - for milk.  And pigs - for bacon.  And … what do you make burgers out of?”

Me: “Cows.”

Zak: “OK.  More cows to make burgers.  And chickens.  Oh, and a Zeppelin.”

Caleb: “Yeah.  That was Japan’s secret weapon.”

Zak: “Hey, Nani, maybe I’ll let you ride in it.”

Nani: “Do I have to wear a parachute?”

Zak: “No.”

Nani:  “OK.  I’d love to ride in your Zeppelin.  Where will your ranch be?”

Zak: “In New Mexico.  Or maybe Chicago.  No, not Chicago.  New Mexico.”

Nani: “Why not Texas?”

Zak: “Well, as long as it’s in the United States.”

OK.  So we have established that we want a Southwest American cattle/ pig/ horse/ chicken ranch with an airport with a Zeppelin hanger and enough space for the Alamo.

Once in their neighborhood, we drove past a house that was really decorated to the hilt with Christmas lights and blow-up figures.

Caleb: “Look at that one, Nani.  It is very dramatic.”

Dramatic.  That’s one word for it, I guess.

Zak: “They used to have penguins, but they had to get rid of them.  They were ripping each other’s heads off.”

I think I missed something in the explanation of that one.  I hope I missed something.

We finally made it to their house (and into their guest room).  The next morning I finally made it on a hike down their back yard trail.  Zak was my personal tour guide, although Caleb and Josh soon caught up with us.  He took me all the way to what he identified as the Pooperage Tree.  It’s in the same family as the Poopalicious Tree.  One is not advised to touch either.  Yeah.  I know.  There has to be much more to that story.  I did follow his instructions, however.  I didn’t touch it. 

Proverbs 29:18 says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.”  KJV

Father, thank you for randomness and creativity.  Oh, and vision for the future.  Amen.

No comments: