Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29 – “The Bone Monster”

I just returned from making a donut run for the grandkids.  It was after all cousin’s sleepover night around here, and we have a houseful of hungries to pacify.  I have to say I almost had to pull over on the way back home, though.  The conversation started simply enough, but suddenly I actually heard this from the back seat.  The voice sounded eerily like Zakary’s, but I didn’t see how it could have been.  Thankfully we were just a few short blocks from home, so whoever it was managed to escape before we arrived.  Check out this observation:
“In Loozyanna, doncha know, you haff to keep yore door locked acuz o a alligator will be comin into yore house wit you and eatchou up.”
You tell me.  Where did that come from?

That’s the second strange automobile related incident for the Vaughans in as many days.  Saturday (at least I think it was Saturday.  The days are starting to run together) we took the horde to the movies to see the new Night at the Museum flick.  Pretty fun one, by the way.  I only slept for a minute or two.  On the way home, though, Caleb and Josiah were appointed to ride with us.  We got them all strapped in and headed back to Kel’s house for our rendezvous.  As we stopped at a red light, our driver (that would be Chris, of course) asked me to check out the rear view mirror on my side and look at what was behind us.  A strange request.  I thought maybe someone was in distress and needed our help.  A glance out the mirror revealed nothing, however, so I twisted around the other direction, looking directly out the back window.  And I must say I was startled.  Most assuredly not what I expected to see.  Now understand, I have come to terms with my own impending death (no, this isn’t an announcement, just a statement of theological and practical fact).  But never did I expect to see him (Death, that is … the Grim Reaper … Skeletron personified) piloting a motorcycle and following us around LaMarque.  Was he there for one of us? 

The white-faced Harbinger of the End realized quickly that I was watching.  His hand slowly left the handlebar of his motorcycle.  I fully expected that long, crooked finger to uncurl in a point of death right at me.  Higher and higher.  I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the gruesome sight.  Higher and higher.  Just as I was about to cringe in fear of the final decree, the fingers appeared … and spread wide apart … in a wave.  There it was.  Death was waving hello to me.  Or was it goodbye?  I couldn’t handle this on my own anymore, so I told Caleb and Josiah to turn and look as well.  And as their eyes met his, the hand returned.  Instantly.  In another wave.  Cautiously, we waved back at him.  And he returned the salutation.  The boys were entranced.  I asked them who they thought that was.  The answer came quickly.  “It’s the Bone Monster.”  Indeed it was.  And the Bone Monster followed us all the way to our very last turn, trading waves with the boys (me included.  I was just happy he was only passing through).  Quite the unnerving experience, but certainly one to file in the memory bank of Cousin Christmas Weekend Lore. 

1 Corinthians 15:54-55 says, “When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: ‘Death has been swallowed up in victory.  Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?’”

Father, thank you for being the One we can trust when death is something more than a guy in a skeleton mask approaching on a motorcycle.  Amen.

No comments: