Tuesday, December 30, 2014

December 30 – “Visitors from afar”

We had some pretty interesting visitors in church Sunday.  That in itself of not so unusual, but what happened was a bit different and quite entertaining.  Among this particular group of visitors was: a couple from Southern Illinois, another guy who I think was the father of one of the couple, and a Mom with her two kids from South Korea.  They were all members of a church in Illinois that particularly reaches out to international people in the area.  The South Korean Mom is a master’s degree student at eh University of Chicago.  Her husband is a doctor of medicine back home, and will be in the states to visit with them in a week or so.  Seems the couple has a time share at the complex near the church.  When they decided to come to Galveston, they opened up the trip to anyone at the church who wanted to join them, and this family jumped at the chance. 

Now as we talked before the service I found out that the husband (I know, hard to keep them straight, but I can’t remember their names.  I can’t even pronounce the South Korean names) was a violinist with the symphony orchestra in a town in Kentucky several miles from where they live.  He also teaches violin (Suzuki method, whatever that is.  If you’re ever transferred to Southern Illinois …).  I told him we had a guy here who used to play violin for us for worship.  Then I invited him to bring his along next time he came and he could play for us.  Bam.  That hit a positive cord (like that musical connection there?).  He told me his violin was in the car.  So in the spirit of the moment I asked him what he was waiting for and encouraged him to go get it.  The guy obviously loves to play, because in minutes he was back and tuning up. 

Now before he started he called me over and introduced me to one of the South Korean children, a boy about 12 years old, I would say.  Violin Guy told me they had been walking around a mall near Dallas the day before and stopped at a music store.  This youngster sat down at one of those grand pianos they have on display and jumped into some kind of incredible medley of classical music.  Amazed the whole place.  Introductions complete, he then pulled a fast one on the unsuspecting kid.  He invited him to join him in playing some Christmas music for the group.  The kid kind of stumbled around, but ultimately agreed.  Violin guy asked me for a hymnal, so I had to go track one down.  It was for the youngster though, and not him.  As it turned out the youngster had never heard our Christmas music before, so he needed to see the music to play it.  Violin Guy told him to pick any song, and he would just follow along.  The youngster thumbed through and finally stopped on Joy to the World.  Had nothing to do with that being my favorite song, either.  He sat the book down and picked his way through a line or two.  And then they began.  The kid did an amazing job for never having seen the music before. 

About the I noticed that the hymnal was doing one of those, pages flipping on their own things, so I ran over to get a Bible to hold it open.  The kid never stopped playing.  By the time I got to him, intent on saving the day, I realized that Joy to the World was nowhere near the page that was showing.  The kid was playing the song he had just seen for the first time … from memory.  Backed up by a concert violinist.  At Seaside Church.  On a little Island off the coast of Texas.  And when that song ended, they almost immediately transitioned into Silent Night.  Apparently the kid had seen the music to that one the day before at the music store.  Now do you see why I was so impressed?  I tried to get the boy to commute and play piano for us every Sunday.  You know, to get experience and all.  But he seemed to think it would be less than cost effective.  In his words, “I could soon buy a piano of my own if I did not come.”  Right about that one, I guess. 

Matthew 7:11 says, “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”

Father, thank you for gifting people like that youngster and the Violin Guy.  Thanks as well for the gifts you give every one of us, whatever they may look like.  Amen.

No comments: