Saturday, December 13, 2014

December 13 – “3:30 … A.M.”

What a night.  Around 3:30 a.m. (yes, there is one of those in the morning), Chris and I were awakened by what we thought sounded like our doorbell, albeit a weak, hesitant version of it.  I am a lighter sleeper than Chris, so I was awake right away.  I thought maybe it had been some kind of warped signal from my phone, but it didn’t match any of the tones I have (that I know of.  There is much about that phone that remains a mystery to me).  But then she roused up as well and asked if that was the doorbell.  That was my cue to go check. 

You know, in a pastor’s home you can never tell what might be going on in situations like these.  Of course our first thought goes to our kids and their families, but to ring the doorbell?  They have a key.  And they would call first anyway.  Other possibilities are church members or maybe neighbors, but it really could be anybody we have connected with.  Our ministry is our life, and we have always had somewhat of a modified open-door policy.  If we are here and awake, the front door is usually open.  But to be honest, at 3:30 in the morning, my thoughts didn’t go much beyond finding my slippers and locating the front door. 

I reached the office and peered through the front window, searching for some clue as whether the doorbell had indeed rung at such an unusual hour.  Sure enough, kind of slumped over one of our porch rocking chairs, was a lady.  I couldn’t tell at first who it was, but after trying a few angles during the last few steps to the door, I realized that we did indeed know her.  It was one of the ladies who has been in the neighborhood since I was a kid.  Her kids were younger than me, so I didn’t know them well growing up, but we have connected with the Mom since we have been back on the Island.  She called us for help when her husband died a few years back, and she was the one who rerouted her daily trip to the donut shop to avoid disrupting our Turkey Bowl game this year.  Very sweet lady.

I ushered her inside as quickly as I could and had her sit down.  I went in to hurry Chris along.  She wanted to speak to “the nurse” of the family.  Come to find out she had some stomach issues and was worried that she might be having a heart attack.  Chris patiently talked her down from her little panic attack and reassured her over and over.  The lady didn’t really want us to take her to the emergency room.  Strangely enough (and actually funny when you look at it with your head twisted just the right way), when we were able to boil all of what she was saying down, she wanted to know two things.  Was she having a heart attack?  And would it be OK for her to throw up, because she was feeling really nauseous?  Both valid medical questions that I was so glad Chris was in a position to answer.  She wasn’t really having any of the classic signs and symptoms of a heart attack, so Chris encouraged her there.  It was the second question that struck me.  Permission to throw up?  I guess I have to hand it to her.  If she was able to control that reflex enough to get up, get dressed, and drive down to our house, she had already accomplished an amazing feat in my book.  Certainly you can throw up.  I’ll get you a bucket, if you need it.  Just promise you’ll hold it off until I leave the room, or I’ll be joining you.

So, encouragements and assurances completed, she returned home a little after four.  Chris managed to go right back to sleep.  Me?  Not so much.  I did a few crossword puzzles, but that didn’t work.  I finally just turned off the light and prayed for our sweet neighbor.  And our family.  And our church.  And … I almost gave up and got up a little before five (the last time I looked at the clock), but sometime shortly thereafter I managed to doze off.  That is until my phone notified me of an incoming email right at six.  That was enough for me.  I rolled out of bed and got started … well, restarted … on another great day.  Bring it on.

Psalms 90:14 says, “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”

Father, our neighbor lady could use some of your satisfying.  Ease her worries and calm her fears.  Strengthen her in spirit so she can have the energy to conquer her circumstances.  Amen.

No comments: