Monday, December 22, 2014

December 22 – “The alleged Sound of Music”

We watched the Sound of Music Live special on TV the other night.  We figured it would be only right, since we watched the Peter Pan one last week.  I’m always willing to give them a second chance, and unlike Peter Pan, the Sound of Music is, by its very nature, supposed to be a musical.  Not that I am a musical aficionado, by any means.  I’ll leave that distinction to friends like Travis Allen and others who can actually watch all things musical without regard for the acting.  I definitely fall more on the drama side.  But then, that’s my background.  Ah, high school acting days.  One act play competitions.  Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (Yep.  That’s really the name of a play we did.  Must have had some theatrical significance that I never grasped).  I even had a bit part as a delivery boy in our musical, Mame.  Actually, I think my official designation was stage manager, but I was also the understudy for one of the male roles as well.  Almost had to go on, too, when the guy thought he had chicken pox or measles or some such dreaded childhood disease.  Honestly, the only reason I was involved at all was the major crush I had on the redhead who played Mame, but again … a story for another time.  My career-defining role, however, had to be my senior year performance as Tigger in The House at Pooh Corner.  Now that was dramatic artistry at its finest.  Loud.  Bouncy.  Goofy.  I have to confess, I heard more than once that there just might have been a bit of type-casting involved.  We even went on the road and performed for the local elementary schools.  But … I digress.  So.  A musical.  What could go wrong? 

Oh, my.  Now don’t get me wrong.  The lady, whoever she was, could really sing.  The kids did a great job.  Not so much the Dad.  And the evil, interloping fiancée just didn’t do it for me.  Neither did the sidekick who set up the singing competition or the bad guy German officer.  Wow.  Gripe, gripe, gripe.  Sorry about that.  The acting was just way below par.  And I must be getting pretty old, because time after time I found myself doing what I often warn others against.  I compared.  How could I not?  Julie Andrews MADE the Maria Von Trapp role.  She was more Maria Von Trapp than … Maria Von Trapp.  Of course she was also Mary Poppins, but that’s a story for another time. 

Um … OK, so maybe I am a sucker for musicals.  Good musicals.  With good acting.  Or maybe it’s just … almost Christmas.  That’s it.  Music is just a little more special at Christmas. 

Luke 2:13-14 says, “Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.’”

Father, thank you for the music.  Especially that angel-music you came up with to announce the new birthday.  Amen.

No comments: