Saturday, December 27, 2014

December 27 – “The Box”

Well yesterday was a flurry of activity that started the minute Josh and his family walked through the door and didn’t stop until sometime after midnight when I finally quit and went to bed. Zakary and Caleb were very excited to tell us all about the fun gifts they had received in their “first two Christmases.”  Seems an email to Santa resulted in the jolly guy showing up a day or two earlier.  Thanks for hat, O Bearded One, for it made possible their trip to the southlands to visit the grandparents and … perhaps the strongest reason for any trip down here … the cousins.  I enjoyed the banter, though.  It was a little easier to follow just two excited kids than the four the day before.  One of my favorite interchanges went like this:
Caleb: “You know what, DadDad?  When we wrestle, we always end up with serious injuries.”

Um.  Not sure where that came from or why, but I suppose I needed to know it.

Me: “Really?  That sounds like some powerful wrestling.”

Caleb: “Yeah.  But Zak-ry is usually the weak link compared to me.”

OK.  I’ll have to check with Zak on that evaluation.  Maybe set up a grudge match.  Or better yet … Rock-em-soc-em robots (Yep.  I got a set of ‘em for Christmas).

I also got one of the most unusual gifts of the day.  What was inside was tremendous.  A giant Nestles’ Crunch bar and a pair of Houston Astros sandals.  But it was the box they came in.  Gotta say I have never seen one like it.  It was printed to house a Crib Dribbler.  The entire thing was just like the actual product was inside.  It was touted to be something you put in your child’s crib so he can get a drink any time he wants one.  Picture a hamster’s cage and one of those upside down drink tubes with water in it that is activated when the creature drinks from it.  There was even a coupon on the back for a child’s energy drink.  Lime and bubble gum flavors were featured.  And I was especially drawn to the announcement of the adult BedDribbler.  Had a picture of two old timers in bed, and each had a personal feeding tube right next to him.  Wonder if you could get those personalized?  Absolutely hilarious.  As wonderful as the sandals and candy bar were, they were kind of an anticlimax to … The Box. 

Speaking of old-timers, I had to leave the bedlam briefly to meet with an older couple (in their 60’s) who are getting married today.  I walked through the San Luis Hotel front entryway array of elf-inhabited Christmas trees looking for the couple I had never met.  As I strolled past I heard a call from my right asking if I was Pastor Vaughan.  As I turned, the first thing I saw was a baby, about four months old at most, in the arms of an old timer.  The lady who called out was standing near the packed to the gills stroller.  I have to say I was briefly taken aback.  That was some kind of miracle baby for sure.  Were they the parents?  Hats off to them if they were, that’s for sure.  My look of incredulity must have shown, because the old dude with the kid hastened to assure me that it was his grandchild.  Somewhat relieved for them, we talked for a few minutes about the ceremony and about them.  The little one got quite fussy, so the grandma did what any self-respecting grandparent would have done … she called his mother.  And when Mommy and Daddy arrived, I had to talk to them as well.  Dad was wearing a Wolverine t-shirt, so we had a conversation about the merits of the DC universe over the obviously made-up Marvel one.  I mentioned that Kel had been to Comic-con and had seen Stan Lee.  He replied with the comment that Lee makes a cameo appearance in each of his movies.  The whole thing went quite rapidly, and I noticed that the wedding couple was kind of lost in the discussion.  So I used that comment as an attempt to draw them in.  I looked around and said, “It’s like Alfred Hitchcock …”  That’s all it took.  They were in the conversation and stayed with us the rest of the way.  I encouraged the Daddy to wear something Spiderman to the wedding.  Wonder if Kel’s new Spiderman hoodie would fit over my suit …

John 1:29 says, “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, ‘Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!’”

Father, thank you for bubbly children, goofy boxes filled with great treats, and common ground.  Amen.

No comments: