Saturday, December 20, 2014

December 20 – “Find the Ugly”

We went to our final Christmas party of the year (before the real thing in just five days).  It was an ugly Christmas sweater/trivia party at the home of one the fire fighters.  I baptized his son one Easter Sunday morning as well, so we have several points of connection.  As far as the theme goes, we thought we might have a problem.  The only sweaters we had that might possibly fall into the category of truly ugly all drowned in the Hurricane Ike flood.  And on top of that, I was worried that it would be way too hot for a sweater of any kind.  This is, after all, a tropical island paradise, right?  Well on that count the Lord took care of things.  A front blew in yesterday afternoon and the temperature dropped dramatically.  By the time we left for the party it had plummeted to a frigid 58 degrees, almost unbearable by Galveston standards.  The sweaters would work just fine … if we could find any.

I had an idea for creating an array of ugly on one of my existing red sweaters.  Chris was a different matter, though.  All of her clothes are beautiful, of course, and she isn’t one to go readily for “creative approaches.”  But then, as I was rummaging through the hall closet for I don’t remember what, I saw it.  The perfect sweater for Chris.  It was one of my Mom’s old ones.  Really old ones.  In true Oralee fashion, it was bright and colorful, with just a touch of wacky.  Mom could rock those elements in a way not many could.  That sweater had something embroidered on it (or whatever that word is) for each of the twelve days of Christmas.  And not your little two inches of suggestion either.  Each of these was three or four inches tall, and played out the song perfectly.  Yep.  That was my Mom.  And the sweater was great for Chris as well.  It wasn’t so much ugly as it was … bold.  And as it turned out, Chris almost won the ugly sweater contest anyway.  The hostess proclaimed, “I was going to give it to you just for the sheer vintageness of it all.”  I must say, though, the guy who actually won deserved it.  His sweater was a mass of Christmas homage from Mexico and America and who knows where else. 

Ugly Christmas Sweater.  Now my sweater was a little … different.  It started as a simple red sweater, thus fulfilling that part of the requirement.  I still had to figure out a way to touch on the Christmas part and ultimately the ugly part.  And I had an idea.  I know.  Dangerous, right?  Here’s what I did.  I printed off tiny little pictures of all the fire fighters I had photos of, and cut them out.  Then I arranged and pasted them onto a piece of red paper in the shape of a fire hydrant.  Then I took all of that and pasted it onto a piece of green paper.  Finally I cut out the words “Ho,” “Ho,” and “Ho” from red paper and glued them around the photo-hydrant (there’s the Christmas part of the challenge), then safety-pinned the whole thing onto my sweater.  The ultimate challenge was met.  I’m certain that somewhere in that vast array of pictures was someone who could be construed as “ugly.”  How can I be so sure?  Because I included a picture of myself.  I’ll have to take a picture of it and post it on FaceBook as a brand new game called “Find the Ugly.”  Kind of like “Where’s Waldo?” 

The trivia part of the party was in jeopardy when we arrived.  Our incredible hostess Katy had not had time to get anything copied.  Strangely enough, I still had quite a few copies of our own trivia challenge from our party the night before, so I raced home (actually I drove carefully through the misting rain) and retrieved all the copies I could find.  Now we do our trivia as an icebreaker, just for fun as people arrive.  This group was a bit more cutthroat.  Katy was offering a prize.  And that proved to be a problem.  I brought no less than six different categories of trivia so Katy could choose her favorite.  Somehow, though, all of them made their way into the crowd.  We had pictures and movie quotes and carol initials and general trivia and Christmas food quizzes floating everywhere.  And Katy then told me that I had to be the judge, since I was the only one with the answers.  And the race was on.  The people actually seemed to enjoy it, although the food challenge was dismissed readily (except by two daring souls.  More on them later).  Katy announced that the official contest would be Christmas Movie Quotes.  Whew.  That made my job a little easier.  But I have to say, it was the photos, or rather the Christmas rebus page, that drew the most interest, and the most ire.  They did fine on the obvious ones, like Jingle Bells and Silent Night.  And Andy stepped up as a master visual interpreter to assist the eventual category winner with numerous correct answers (Sorry, I can’t remember her name).  Of course it took a mole in the works to finally get the most vexing one of the night.  Nathan (who has experienced the Vaughan Trivia Madness for 15 years or so) finally broke under pressure and revealed the clue that unlocked the revelation for “Wokking in a Winter Wonderland.”  Nicole and Shorty were recognized for their accomplishment in Sheer Volume of Work - coming up with answers for three pages of trivia.  Not all right answers, but some answers, nonetheless.  Now the actual winner of the announced event, the Christmas movie quotes quiz, went to none other than April, and she didn’t even get any help from her husband.  Finally, the Most Creative Approach to Quiz Taking Award had two entries.  Remember the two I said attempted the food quiz?  Patrick is working right now to get accepted into UTMB, so I should have expected some of his answers.  Like the very first one: “According to tradition, what food should you eat every day during the twelve days of Christmas?”  Patrick’s answer?  NaHCO3.  The chemical formula for sodium bicarbonate … an antacid.  A good answer, Patrick, but not the correct one.  As good as his answers were, though, the winner of this category was the youngster, Andy and Katy’s son Aidan.  He meticulously printed an answer to each of the 25 or so questions.  The same answer.  And then he explained his answer on the side.  His multi-used answer to every food related question?  “Jesus.”  And his explanation?  “Jesus is the answer to everything.”  Now that’s a kid who has a handle on the important things in life.  Great answer, Aidan.

2 Corinthians 9:8 says, “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”

Father, help me remember that you are the answer for everything.  Saves a lot of worrying.  Amen.

No comments: