Friday, December 26, 2014

December 26 – “The Day After”

We awoke to a very quiet Christmas Day.  Just the two of us, we shared breakfast together and a leisurely look through the newspaper (that was in our driveway the night before when we got home from the Stone’s Christmas Eve party.  Guess no breaking news was expected for the evening except maybe Santa’s impending arrival).  I worked some more on my Christmas Story for this year.  Finally we stopped kidding ourselves and sauntered into the room where the Christmas tree stood, lights glowing and calling for us to check out what had somehow appeared beneath.  Headlines or not, Santa had indeed arrived.

We have been trying to keep our gifts to each other as simple as possible, primarily so we can give more things to our kids and grandkids.  That’s the fun part of the season for us.  Not saying I didn’t appreciate the gifts I did receive, mind you.  Chris always has my best interests in mind.  As I type I am wearing some of the new black socks she got me.  See, I have some black socks that have become kind of dingy gray.  I didn’t think anyone noticed one way or the other, and I certainly don’t spend my day staring down at my socks, but Chris noticed.  She was especially concerned that I look sharp when I “suit up” to do things with the fire department.  She also gave me a new pair of black jeans.  She said that way I didn’t have to wear the same pair to church every Sunday.  Well, OK.  And the new belt will put my old one to shame as soon as I switch it out for a smaller size.  Are you sensing a theme here?  I never was good at dressing myself. 

I didn’t go as much the clothing route this year for her, although I did get her a hoodie to wear on her forays into seedy areas of town.  Nah, just kidding.  It for wearing back and forth to water exercise.  Besides, it’s pink.  With that and her white hair, there’s no way she could be incognito.  I did manage to find her a new novel by Ted Dekker that she hasn’t yet read.  Oh, and her desk calendar made its yearly appearance under the tree as well. 

OK.  On to the carving this year.  That is something I have done for her for years.  I have carved animals of all kinds, and several years ago I started a little nativity scene.  That’s where I went with this year’s carving.  See, I always wanted to have an angel in there, but I never could quite figure out how to make it work.  I wanted it to be … majestic.  Problem was, I have never been good at physics, or geometry or whatever it is that helps you figure out how to balance out the height and width and base so something won’t just tip over when you stand it up.  All too confusing for me.  But this year I was determined.  I experimented with  a few different tactics, and finally decided to just give it a go and hope for the best.  This way would involve some wood glue for the first time, but I figured that would just help with weight as far as the base piece was concerned.  If nothing else, those wings would be, well, majestic.  I think it turned out OK.  At least as far as I was concerned it met the two key criteria.  You won’t confuse it with Joseph or Mary or the donkey.  And it stands up on its own.  I’ll take that.  Chris seemed satisfied as well, so I guess it’s officially a keeper.

While we were opening our gifts Chris started texting our kids to wish them a Merry Christmas.  Happy responses from all.  And then a strange one came across both of our phones from Kel.  It was a link to a Youtube video.  Chris was hesitant to click on it, so I bravely took the challenge.  It was a video someone had put together to that goofy song, “Text Me a Merry Christmas.”  Perfect.  Sure added some chuckles to our quiet Christmas morning, Kel.  Thanks.

But that wasn’t the only Christmas morning message we received.  Later Chris came over beside me with her phone on speaker.  We listened as an out of breath, incredibly excited little girl did her best to invite us over to her new house to see what Santa had left her.  It was “the biggest gift ever,” she assured us.  So we grabbed a jacket (Hey, it was a blustery cold Christmas morning … at least 56 degrees) and drove over to the house Nathan and April are in the process of buying.  Seems Santa had put a key in Cailyn’s stocking, and it opened the front door of the new house. Now that was big enough, right?  Even Nana said, “I never heard of a little girl getting a new house for Christmas.”  (Um, Hey, Nana.  Can you say, Miracle on 34th Street?).  But that wasn’t at all what Cailyn wanted to show us.  She was in the back yard trying out … her new trampoline.  Wow.  What a gift that was.  And yes, I jumped.  How could I not when my granddaughter asked me so nicely?  I tried to do it while Chris was on the phone with Noa, but she saw me.  And she videoed.  I just hope she stopped before I was so worn out that I had to just lie there and catch my breath.  Whew.  It’s been a long time.

We did manage to make a quick trip to LaMarque to check out the troops at Kel and Christina’s house.  They had to show us their video games and slippers and masks and books and transformers and doll strollers and underwear and spiderman hoodie and … well, everything new that had made its way into their abode.  And they did it all at once.  Four kids – four excited kids – all talking at once and vying for the best angle to catch Nana and DadDad’s eye so they could see … right now.  Jachin got so excited while he told me a story that this came out, Then Dad mascara’d my army.”  Mascara?  Thati would have loved to have seen, wouldn’t you?  We knew what he meant, though.  Dads and massacres go hand in hand when you’re playing battle games.  It was crazy.  Crazy wonderful.  Gotta love that Christmas morning excitement.  Can’t wait until Josh and his gang arrive later today so we can go through it all over again.

When we made it back home Chris finished up her readiness cooking: pudding pie, divinity, cookies.  We ended the day on the couch, watching some schmaltzy Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel.  Ah, Christmas.

Matthew 2:1-2 says, “After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, ‘Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.’”

Father, thank you for uncontrollable excitement and out of breath explanations and Christmas craziness.  Amen.

No comments: