Friday, November 7, 2014

November 7 - "The Little Princess"

Last night I went to the pre-funeral visitation for a little girl who died.  She was the granddaughter of one of our fire fighters, and she had direct family connections with two others.  I have been to quite a few of those over the course of my years in ministry, but I have to say I have only been to one other that had even close to the response this one did.  And that one was also for a child. 

When I arrived at the funeral home, every parking place was taken and the overflow was close to filling the parking lot of a neighboring hotel.  That’s right, a hotel.  Not to mention the cars parked along neighboring streets.  When I got inside, the viewing room was already packed with people, and a line had formed in the lobby.  Those in line stood respectfully, waiting their turn to reach the family and pay their respects.  I joined the fire chief and assistant chief who happened to be standing behind Grayson Glass, the guy who was pastor of the church back when I became a believer.  Photos and memorabilia from the little one’s life were set up all throughout the funeral home, so we had a chance to see evidence of the love she had experienced in her short time with her family.  One thing that struck me involved what was apparently a nickname.  Now, there were references to her being their little princess everywhere.  And her first name was Kennedy, so she quite naturally became Princess Kennedy, or PK.  My own nickname among the folks at Seaside has evolved from Pastor Kelley into, yep, PK.  I’m proud to share a nickname with one who has influenced so many people.

As we slowly moved forward, and there were some somber as well as funny moments.  The funeral home had two sign-in stations set up, one electronic and the other the usual memorial book pages.  Apparently they were running out of pages, though, because no one would us the electronic system.  They finally took the “antiquated option” away to force folks to move into the 21st century.  OK, I will confess.  I signed the book the old fashioned way.  But then I’m an old guy, so I get a pass, right?  On the “ease the tension a little” funny side, I heard one guy whisper to the funeral director something along the lines of: “when the OTHER funeral home (names not mentioned to protect the innocent and guilty) has a line this long, they provide someone to pass out refreshments.”  That’s not a bad idea, actually. 

We finally made our way in and offered encouragement our three fire fighters and some of their family.  They told us they couldn’t believe the number of people who had come out, from the medical staff who had taken care of her to folks they didn’t even know.  They were stunned at the outpouring of love.  They even joked about how none of us would have nearly this many folks at our funeral.  I think they were right about that one.  I felt a special sense of the grief of the granddad in this experience.  We have two little ones we are waiting to meet who never made it far enough for us to hold in this life.  That was rough.  So, Kenny, treasure the time you had with her, and anticipate the time when you can snuggle with her once again.

As we exited, the line had grown so much that it now stretched out the door and into the parking lot.  The outpouring of love was literally overflowing, spilling out, unable to be contained.  What a picture.  Reminded me of the extravagant love God has for us.  Thank you for that Little PK.  You have left quite a legacy. 

John 14:7 says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me.  In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may also be where I am.”

Father, welcome this little one into your arms.  And share a few of your supernatural hugs with her family left behind.  Let them know they are not alone.  Amen.

No comments: