Thursday, November 13, 2014

November 13 – “In the Blue Room”

I experienced a very touching moment yesterday with Cailyn.  Chris was busy fixing some of her awesome chicken and dumplings for supper.  And a perfect choice, I might add, since it was really cold outside.  Cailyn desperately wanted to play girlie-type games with her, but sadly for her she was relegated to asking old DadDad to join her instead.  She reluctantly agreed, so the two of us and the scarecrow dolls headed back into what has affectionately become known as “The Blue Room.”  It was Mom’s old room that we have rearranged, but some of her jewelry is in there, as well as the area we set up as a dress-up station.  Cailyn has adopted it as her own, as in, “It’s my blue room.” 

I sprawled out on the bed.  Hey, I’ve learned to take advantage of every opportunity as it presents itself.  Cailyn parked herself at the dresser and the tray of “MeeMaw earrings,” so designated because MeeMaw made a lot of them and at some point or other wore all of them.  I snuck a peek at FaceBook, but she soon began to weave a tale of creative play that absolutely fascinated me.  Didn’t take long for FaceBook to fade away into the nether reaches of iPhone-dom as I became more and more enthralled by the world she was inventing.  The scarecrow dolls are male and female, so they became her brother and sister.  And since their heads were made of Styrofoam balls, they received the honor of trying on all the earrings, once Cailyn selected her favorite pair and had me help her install them (or whatever it is you call sticking earrings into those holes in your ears).  The girl, of course received most of the attention, but at one point the guy was drawn into the act.  Cailyn asked me if I had ever worn earrings.  I assured her I never had, but she was a bit incredulous.  “Even back when you were in high school?” she asked, as if all guys in high school at least tried out the fine art of stabbing a hole in their ears.  My repeated assurances led only to a slow shake of her head as if to say, “You poor, mistreated soul.” 

She eased back into her created world for a time then.  And by now I was hooked.  She began telling me about her family.  “I used to have a sister, but not in this family.  My Mom passed away and my sister got married, so I came over to this family.”

Whoa.  That’s some heavy stuff.  She continued, this time talking to the scarecrow doll.  “These are my Mom’s earrings that she gave me before she passed away.”

Hesitantly, I softly entered into her realm, “What does it mean to pass away?”

She turned to me with a look in her eyes that I can only describe as compassion, “It means she died.”

Ah, OK.  So she does know what she is saying.  Wisely I kept silent.  The mood was intense and solemn.  Words would have shattered the moment.  Finally, with just a hint of tears in her eyes, she added, “I miss MeeMaw.”

And there it was.  “I do, too,” I quickly added.  We remained there for a brief moment or two, each of us no doubt engaged in some private remembering.  And then, that huge smile returned.  The scarecrow doll again became a little sister, and it was off to show Nani how the turkey earrings looked.  Or was it the starfish?  Or the sand dollars?  Or …

Philippians 1:3 says, “I thank my God every time I remember you.”

Father, thank you for captured memories.  They sustain.   Amen.

No comments: