Sunday, November 16, 2014

November 16 – “Winter sports"

Outdoor winter sports.  Now, I think of things like snow skiing and sledding, don’t you?  How about two soccer games.  Two.  In the damp, icy cold.  With less than adequate covering or shelter.  Miserable.  Two plus hours of sitting as still as possible so as not to disengage the fragile hold on the one extra blanket or the careful draping of the youngster’s light jacket that had become my makeshift hoodie.  Look, I know the flounder needed an extra push this year to begin their big run to the Gulf, but it’s just November.  Our week and a half of cold weather is not supposed to start until maybe the end of December and be over by the middle of January.  Come on.  This is a tropical island paradise, isn’t it? 

Sigh.  So much for my yearly “Galveston, it’s winter” rant.  We have done the soccer games in the cold scene before.  At least three times, as I recall.  We’ve even done a baseball game or two when we lived in Colorado when it started snowing before we could get home.  Baseball is a Spring sport, and Spring should be hot like it is in Galveston, right?  And one complete soccer practice up there was spent cavorting through a fully engaged snowstorm.  Now I have to admit, that was a gem to watch.  I am still grateful to Coach Danny Campbell (now PASTOR Danny somewhere in Virginia) for that delightful image.  Oh, and the games we were watching were, technically, in Texas, not in Galveston, so I guess that excuse isn’t really a valid one.  But cold I was. 

The games went pretty well, actually.  Josiah is his team’s youngest player, and their goalie.  His team is a pretty good one, too, so he honestly doesn’t see much action.  The forwards keep the ball in the opponent’s end of the field most of the game.  He got into the action a bit here and there, though.  Did a great job.  I’m proud of you, Josiah.  And we discovered something at this, the last game of the season.  As we walked up to the field, a tall young man in sunglasses and a very warm-looking beanie approached me.  He obviously knew who I was, and he asked the dreaded question, “Do you remember me?”  Not the best question to lead with, folks.  Especially not with this old guy.  I did have just the faintest hint of recognition, though, so I replied, “Take off your sunglasses and I’ll let you know.”  Great move when you don’t have a clue, you know.  In this case, though, it made all the difference for me.  I looked up into his eyes and did recognize him. It was one of the guys who played basketball with Nathan back when I was the coach.  Hadn’t seen or heard from Michael in literally years.  He said, “I TOLD my wife that was my old basketball coach walking up, but she didn’t believe me.”  Phew.  I was right about the identification.  We talked for a while, reminiscing and catching up to date on how Nathan was doing.  His daughter was on Josiah’s team and Christina and his wife had already become acquainted over the course of the season.  Michael had just not been to the games we had been to because of his work schedule.  It’s always good to see how well a former player is doing.

Oh, and I do have to complete the day’s soccer circle.  We had a bit of a break for McDonald’s and a trip to have Chris’ charms inserted onto her bracelet at James Avery and a moment or two in a heated car for thawing before we headed back to Micah’s game.  He has also proven himself a significant asset to his team.  In just his first year, he, too, has become quite the proficient goalie.  He made three or four good stops as well, and for the brief time he played midfielder, he had an assist on a goal.  His coach encouraged his Mom to get him into a more competitive league next season.  I encourage her to get him into a warmer league next season.  Nice job, Micah.  I’m proud of you.

Song of Solomon 2:11-12 says, “See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone.  Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land.”

Father, I so thank you for the different seasons you have instituted here on your earth.  And I’m sorry for complaining so much.  Keep ‘em coming, however you see fit.  Gives us a chance to learn how to adapt.  Amen.

No comments: