Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November 4 – “Quick Click”

I’m having another one of those computer techie required moments around here.  Until we get someone to step up as worship leader at Seaside, I have to download music videos for us to sing along with during the services.  Up to this point that has not really been a problem.  The program built into RealPlayer allows you to automatically download videos with little more than quick click.  And mine does the quick click portion of the process just fine.  In fact, it shows that it is doing the download all the way through until a mere wisp of a byte remains.  And suddenly it stops and tells me the download is not complete.  It urges me to refresh the page and try again.  The refreshing part is easy.  I have even closed out Explorer altogether and tried again, but to no avail.  Same end.  “Download incomplete.  Refresh page and try again.”  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Speaking of help, I began searching for a new health insurance policy yesterday.  We have fallen victim to all the “upgrades” required by the system, and the policy we have “no longer fulfills all the requirements.”  So far it looks like a new policy is going to cost about $1,000 more per month than the one we have now.  I won’t be able to see what options my present company (Blue Cross Blue Shield) has to offer until their open enrollment period that starts on the fifteenth.  So there’s a huge prayer request for everybody. 

I did have my picture taken last night.  WooHoo, right?  It was for an upcoming photo ID that will identify me as a member of the area Critical Incident Stress Management team.  That’s a group that has been trained to debrief first responders after particularly difficult calls or after/in the midst of major catastrophes, like a hurricane.  They respond to calls for help literally all over the world.  They were there after the 9-11 attacks and after the explosion in West, Texas.  I really see the benefit of a particular group gathered for just that purpose, to see to the mental health of people who are faced with gut-wrenching sights and spur of the moment decisions every day they are on shift.  And in the face of a major emergency or catastrophe, that stress level only intensifies.  It’s one of those situations where you prepare like a life depends on it, then pray you will never be needed.  I’m honored that they would consider me an asset to the team.  So, to our first responders everywhere, get out there and be safe so you don’t ever need me.

Job 11:18 says, “You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety.”

Father, let your hope bring security to the first responders everywhere.  Be the presence that eases their stress in the midst of the chaos they face every day.  Amen.

No comments: