Tuesday, November 11, 2014

November 11 – “A ‘Thank you, Lord’ moment”

I was back in the work groove big time again yesterday.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, we still managed to make a quick WalMart/bank/Randalls/Kroger run, but I spent much of the day slaving over the computer … a typical Monday.  Send out cards, pay bills, begin work of teachings for the week, deal with emails.  All the usual stuff.

We did have one interesting development when we were at Kroger.  We went because they finally started the canned goods sale that Chris waits for all year.  With your Kroger card, if you buy in increments of ten, you can get really low prices on cans of soup (Chris heads straight for the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken, the ones she uses to cook with all the time).  Then she heads over to the vegetable aisle (actually it’s the same isle, just further down).  It took some searching but we finally found the Green Giant green beans and corn.  That’s what I expected.  This year, though, she added ten of those cans of milk (not the good, sweet kind that magically transform into pudding pie.  This was the kind that she uses for frozen cheesecake, I think).  She was also going to get ten cans of those refrigerated crescent rolls, but they were completely out already.  So with our basket piled high with cans, we headed for the checkout.

And that’s where things got a little dicey.  I began unloading cans onto the checkout area, can after can after can.  That’s when I noticed it.  Chris was tearing apart her purse, taking things out and rearranging things.  She couldn’t find her Kroger card.  It just wasn’t in there.  She asked if I had mine with me, but I stopped carrying mine a long time ago, primarily because she always has hers.  I know where mine is kept, safely hidden away where it won’t take up space in my already overcrowded wallet.  When it finally became out turn I stopped the checker before he got started and asked if there was a way to use our card without having it with us.  He smiled and assured us all we needed was the phone number it was filed under.  Relieved, I told him the number … and it didn’t work.  Now that was odd, but then I remembered that after Hurricane Ike we often used my cell number for things like this, so I tried that one.  Still no luck.  This was very strange.  We both knew we had a card and had used it any number of times, but what possible phone number could it be under?  I had no idea.  Chris had no idea.  We sighed and resigned ourselves to leaving without our cache of canned goods, when the checker had an idea.  “I can just give you the senior discount.  It may not be as much, but at least it’s something.”  Well, sometimes it’s great to be old, but Chris said never mind, that we would just come back.  Sensing our disappointment and obvious distress, he had another idea, “We could use someone else’s card.  Like the lady in line behind you.”  Sure enough, an older lady stood patiently there behind Chris, her own Kroger card clutched in her hand.  She had obviously been listening, and happily handed her card over, saying, “Here you go.  After all, us old folks gotta stick together, don’t we?”  Indeed we do, my new friend.  Indeed we do.

We loaded up our sixty cans and our $40 receipt (not a bad savings, I must say) and headed for home.  Phase one of Thanksgiving shopping complete.  Oh, yes.  After we got home I checked in my secret stash, and sure enough, there was my Kroger card.  I gave it to Chris.  No sense having a repeat of such an embarrassing situation.  But then again, we did get to experience a random act of kindness from a fellow old person.  I think I’ll take that as a “Thank you, Lord” moment for the week. 

1 Chronicles 29:12-13 says, “Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things.  In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all.  Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.”

Father, thank you for special moments to connect with total strangers, especially when it involves a chance to experience a giving event.  Grant us some opportunities to be on the giving end.  Amen.

No comments: