Tuesday, November 18, 2014

November 18 – “Christmas fever”

First of all, we had some good news regarding the teacher who had the seizure last week at our water therapy class.  She was back today, looking just a little beat up after her collision with the floor.  She now sports a pretty good shiner.  But on the positive side, she decided to kick her smoking habit once and for all.  Other than still feeling quite embarrassed, she seems to be doing just great.  She even gave me a hug.  I wish all the rescues our fire fighters accomplish could result in them getting at least a hug.  Makes it all worthwhile. 

No to the Christmas Fever.  It has officially struck in the Vaughan household.  Well, not so much for me and Chris, although she did get a really nice cabinet for her Precious Moments.  But that was her birthday present from her sons.  Just took an extra month or two to come up with it.  I mean the toy catalogues have begun to arrive in the mail, so now we get to deal with magic marker-laced fingers for all the things they have circled.  This morning Cailyn was definitely in Christmas mode with a Target catalogue she found.  Oh, and the answer is purple.  That was the color of her magic marker … and her fingers.  I have to share a few of the comments I heard during breakfast as well as the ones I overheard from the next room as Cailyn and Nana (This morning “Nana” was the preferred term of endearment.  That one changes daily – no, moment to moment - as far as Cailyn is concerned) were thumbing through the book.

Cailyn: “I totally don’t know what that is but I still want it.”
I totally had no idea what the thing was, either, but she turned the page faster than my eyes could focus.

Cailyn: “My Granma is getting me this.”
Yep, that looked like a grandparent kind of thing.  You know, we give the big toys that Mom and Dad want nowhere near the property.  And before I could comment,

Cailyn: “And my Mom is getting me that.”
Now my head was pretty much spinning.  She was circling every toy and dress and doll and spinoffs thereof on the page.

Cailyn: “And Nana is getting me the sewing thing.”
OK, I took note of that one.  Some kind of kid’s sewing machine.  I’ll deliver the message.  And finally she took a breath …

Me: “Is Santa getting you anything?” 
I know.  Kind of a lame question, but I wanted to hear what sage philosophy she might come up with.  I wasn’t disappointed. 

Cailyn (with her patented look of great pity): “Yes, DadDad, but only what I really want.”
Ah, so there’s a different list somewhere that is only for what she really wants and apparently only for the eyes and ears of Santa, himself.

This classic came after Chris took over catalogue duties.  I guess Cailyn pointed to something big …
Nana: “You’ll have to save your money for that.”
Cailyn (I didn’t see it, but I can bet that Nana got that pity look): “No, Nana, I’m going to get it for Christmas.  This is my Christmas list.”

Of course it is.  Come on, Nana.  Get with the program.  Who wants to hear all that practical stuff when you are in the midst of dreaming the impossible dream? 

Matthew 7:11 says, “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”

Father, help us to remember that the gifts we give and receive are mere reflections of the incredible gift you gave us when you became one of us.  Amen.

No comments: