Saturday, November 15, 2014

November 15 – “Hot joints”

A trip into Texas for a doctor’s visit was on our docket for yesterday.  Time once again to consult with my rheumatologist.  Generally speaking the pain hasn’t been too bad lately, but there have been a few bouts that were exceptionally uncomfortable.  Especially one with my shoulder that really got my attention. 

The drive up there was fine.  At least until we got near the Texans stadium.  That sure sounds weird to me.  It was so easy for so long to just say “near the Astrodome” and everyone knew right where you meant.  Now that iconic landmark is dwarfed by the much bigger Texans place.  I know it has a corporate name, but I can’t keep up with those.  Still too much of the little boy in me, I guess.  Anyway, once we came near the stadium traffic backed up to a crawl.  Chris remembered then that there was some sort of Nutcracker convention or market or something of the sort.  Whatever it was, it was certainly popular.  They even had to have police directing traffic.  Wish we had taken a different route.  Oh, and did we stop in on our way home?  No.

We arrived at the office with about four seconds to spare and checked in.  Then began the wait.  Oh, they called us back into a room and issued the requisite hospital gown soon enough.  But the doctor didn’t arrive in the room until just about an hour later.  And then it was one of those junior high docs.  Well, she may have been a little older than that, because she did know which questions to ask without referring to her notes very often.  And as it turned out her exam noted the same things the real doc’s did.  But after she left it was another long wait before my regular doc came in.  He apologized for the delay, of course.  And for the presence of the students.  But he and I have talked before about the youngsters.  He knows I really don’t mind.  I told him to pick and prod away.  The exam itself always takes longer when he is with students.  He’s kind of a clown anyway, so when he gets an audience he really goes into entertainment mode.  This one he made give one of those hospital bedside reports where they talk about “the patient” in the third person even though he is sitting right there in front of them.  She went through all the history stuff with him as he patiently listened.  Then she told him my joints were sore, swollen and hot.  Hey, now, how many of you have ever heard that line before?  Hey, Babe, you really have hot joints.  Whatever that meant, it got his attention, and he did an exam of his own.  And he agreed with her right away, too, so I’m pretty sure it had nothing to do with any innate appeal to the opposite sex my knuckles might have.  And it did result in a major change in the medications I have to take.  I have to stop the big round orange ones that I had to take six of every day.  After a week, then start another one that is just a tiny little white pill, but apparently has a huge kick to it.  It is also supposed to be one of those majorly expensive ones, because they led with a bottle of samples and an application to get them directly from the company for free.  We’ll see.  They also insisted I take a flu shot, so chalk that one up as well.  Oh, and how could I forget the ever present blood draw?  It’s supposed to be easier to get the results now, though.  They started one of those websites like UTMB’s My Chart, where you can go online and read it.  Guess I’ll go check that out when I finish here.  Ah, well.  Doctors.  Gotta love em.  Or at least appreciate them.  At least we got to make a Luby’s stop on the way home.

1 Chronicles 16:8-9 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.  Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.”

Father, thank you for doctors and blood tests and online results and trips to Luby’s.  Amen.

No comments: