Friday, November 14, 2014

November 14 – “A Medical Call”

I responded to my first emergency medical yesterday.  Sort of. We were at water therapy doing some high-step work up against the side of the pool.  The teacher for the next class came from a side room and began walking near the side of the pool.  She seemed to trip over a mat that is installed on the floor, but the trip and subsequent stumble all looked like it was happening in slow motion.  It became evident that she was not going to catch herself, so I started to jump out of the pool to help her back up.  But as I reached for the side I looked into her face.  It was like she wasn’t there.  Her eyes were glassed over.  Her expression was a total blank.  And as she began the fall it was suddenly evident that this was no trip.  It was the start of a full blown seizure (I guess the proper term is grand mal). 

Unfortunately I couldn’t get out of the water fast enough to break her fall in any way.  She hit the tile floor face first, taking the full brunt of the blow just below her right eye.  We realized later than she also cut her upper lip.  She was face down when I got to her, and quite close to the water’s edge, fully involved in the seizure.  Chris finally got there and we managed to flip her to her back so we could make sure her head was stable and she could breathe.  I was able to position her head enough so her breathing wouldn’t be hindered.  A retired fire fighter from Detroit who was in the class stood in the water to make sure she didn’t roll in.  One of the other workers called 911 as Chris and Bill and I stayed with the young lady.  The seizure continued for over five minutes.  Five long minutes. 

Finally the girl started to come back around, and her first question was “What happened?”  We explained about the seizure.  The next question actually brought a chuckle to the small group of us hovering over her: “Why are you all wet?”  Obviously she wasn’t yet sure of where she was.  As we waited and did our best to keep her still and quiet, she finally sat up on her own and began interacting.  And as realization engulfed her, she spilled out, “I am not going to the hospital.  This has happened before.  I have been to the hospital and they can’t figure out why this happens.”  We told her the ambulance was on the way and that she could tell the paramedics.  She became a little agitated, insisting she was not going with them.

About that time the crew from station four and the ambulance arrived.  The fire fighters came in first, and she started in on them, “I’m not going anywhere.  I’m fine.”  They did a great job of keeping her calm.  To make a long story a little bit shorter, she agreed to be checked out by the paramedics and was able to walk with them to the ambulance.  She was still inside when we left, but she was in good hands.  Thank you to the crew of station four and the paramedics for a quick and capable response. 

When I finally looked around it hit me that the rest of the class was gone.  About thirty minutes had passed from start to finish.  I guess the adrenaline had kept me focused.  Our teacher was still around, and she thanked Chris and me for our help.  Not much to what we did, though, other than keeping her from rolling into the water and making sure she could breathe.  Now I guess we need to pray for some timely wisdom from her doctors. 

Psalms 5:11 says, “But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in y
 
Father, thank you for taking care of that young lady.  Stay with her.  Give her patience and her doctors wisdom.  Amen.

No comments: