Friday, November 28, 2014

November 28 – “A Fire Station Thanksgiving”

So what do the guys at the fire station do one a big family holiday like Thanksgiving?  Somebody has to be on duty, to be the ones on the other end of the radio call just in case the unthinkable happens.  But what about their celebration?  What really does happen down at the fire station on Thanksgiving Day?

Last year Chris and I decided to fry some extra turkeys and give them to the guys at work.  We continued the new tradition this year.  So about ten a.m. yesterday morning I started my rounds.  Here’s a quick summary of my adventures.

Station 2 – My first stop.  I entered through the tiny little office area and Greg met me.  When I entered the main room the guys were watching none other than Animal Planet.  The drama of the day involved a gripping tale of a frantic woodpecker defending its tree from the evil incursion of a trespassing squirrel.  They (the fire fighters, not the bird and the squirrel) shared a great-tasting cookie with me before we prayed together.

Station 1 – Joey was playing catch outside with his sons as his wife and parents looked on.  Jacob was inside the office strumming the guitar trying to pick out a tune.  I invited him to come lead worship at Seaside.  He serenaded Brad and I on my way out.  I went upstairs to drop off the turkey.  Nathan met me at the top of the stairs, shivering.  He looked like he might have the same thing Cailyn did on Monday.  I ran over to CVS and picked him up some Tylenol.  He and I prayed together, and I reminded him that Cailyn’s bug only lasted 24 hours, so he was about a third of the way there.  Of course, kids always bounce back a lot quicker than adults, but I didn’t mention that.  He did look a tad better when he came by the house later that evening for his two hour home time from the station.  He slept much of his time here, but that’s what he needed to do anyway.

Station 5 – Wasn’t sure if this squad would be there yet.  They had responded to the only call I heard on my phone ap all morning.  But they were back.  They were watching a particularly exciting action movie.  I don’t know which one it was, but why worry about details like that?  After all, it had lots of fire and explosions and the like, so it must have been pretty good.  The guys were quick to turn down the sound and gather around when I asked if I could pray for them, though.

I had to make a quick stop for a bathroom break at Seaside.  As I was leaving the parking lot a car pulled in right in front of me, cutting me off.  As it got close enough to me I recognized the driver and passenger.  Cory and Sarah were heading over to his parents’ house for Thanksgiving.  He asked if we were playing the Turkey Bowl game on Saturday, and I assured him we would toss it around for a little while at least, for the sake of tradition.

Station 8 – Jab was watching the football game and Paul was watching videos of fires (hey, always learning, right?).  Tim joined us after a bit.  It’s hard to stay away when Jab gets started talking.  He told some great church stories about sneaking extra wine at communion and telling the priest as he hands out the host that his fly is down and confusing the poor guy by kneeling next to the wrong wife.  We could use these guys over at Seaside.  It was great praying with them as well.

Station 7 – These guys were smoking a turkey, so when I opened the car door an incredible smell wafted over me that I didn’t want to let go of.  I enjoyed talking to and praying with David and Will in the kitchen.  Even got to talk to Kenny and then Glenn on my way out.  They were just about ready for the guys from Station 8 to come join them for a feast. 

Station 4 – My last stop was the closest to home.  I met Tom on my way in and we walked up together.  There was a football game on TV there, but it looked like these guys were all “helping,” in one way or another, to get the gravy cooked.  They responded almost immediately to the turkey I placed on the counter.  Almost savagely, in fact.  They were starving.  I found out why, though.  It was around one at the time, and their big meal wasn’t scheduled until three.  I would be hungry, too.  Station 5 was coming over, as well as some family members.  They were expecting at least 20 people.  Sounded like a really full house for them.  All the guys joined around for a prayer before I left to make my way home. 

My prayer for all the stations yesterday was that their call volume would be extremely low so they could have a meal and enjoy the day with the fire department side of their family, since they couldn’t be at home.

2 Chronicles 5:13-14 says, “The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the Lord.  Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the Lord and sang: ‘He is good; his love endures forever.’  Then the temple of the Lord was filled with a cloud, and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God.”

Father, thank you for the sacrifice of the fire service guys, police officers, medical personnel, and even the pharmacy workers who sold me the Tylenol for Nathan.  Honor their time away from family with their own times of togetherness and assurance of love.  And please help Nathan recover quickly.  Amen.

No comments: