Monday, December 30, 2013

December 30 – “Thinking ahead … to living”

Well, the kids officially made it back to their respective homes.  Of course they have other mini-trips to make before their Christmas season is over.  Nathan and April just returned from Corpus Christi.  Christi and her boys stayed in Crosby for a few extra days while Josh drove home to preach yesterday.  I think he realized how important it is for Christi to be with him.  I heard he actually got lost after he arrived in Waco.  He’s going back to get his family one day this week, I think.  Stay awake on the return trip, Christi.  Someone might need a navigator.  Kel and Christina have another celebration planned for New Year’s Day with her Mom.  Ah, the holidays seem to never end.  Except maybe here.  We spent our Sunday afternoon taking down all our decorations.  Tree, lights, nativity scenes, stockings, kneeling Santa figurines, bows, candy canes.  All put away and stored back up in the attic.  We still have couches and chairs to move back into their original positions.  At least I hope that’s where they are going.  Chris may have a different configuration in mind.  But for all intents and purposes, Christmas is over here at our house.  Time for a deep breath.  Time to look ahead.  Time to move on to whatever comes next. 

Ministering to a growing population at Seaside.  We had 62 people there this past Sunday, after 67 on Christmas Eve.  Lots of them have been newcomers to Jamaica Beach or the West End.  Many of them mention the church website.  Lots of children.  Exciting stuff.

Continuing my efforts to connect with the team of firefighters here in Galveston.  It has been fascinating to watch the teamwork at the two fires I have been to so far.  If I can get my strength up enough, I really hope to go on a ride-along this next year.  It’s hard to establish a routine schedule to visit the stations, since there are three shifts.  I’ll keep doing what I can when I can.

Caring for Mom through her struggles with aging.  She did pretty well through the holidays, but they also really took a toll on her.  When the last of the kids left the other day and it was just the three of us sitting on the couch, she asked, “Well, when can we go home?”  It has been hard for her ever since Hurricane Ike to understand that she is home with us now.  Then just the other day she asked me again when we were going home.  I assured her we were at home already.  She answered, “No, I mean home.  Back to Galveston, Texas.”  Again, I assured her we were in Galveston, but she was frustrated by then and just replied, “Oh, you know what I mean.”  I wish I did, Mom.  I really wish I did.

Dealing with my own aches and pains from rheumatoid arthritis and bulging disks (OK, go ahead and summarize that as my own problems with aging).  Actually, the arthritis fight is going pretty well.  The doctor added a twice monthly shot of some kind to my regimen.  That, in combination with the water therapy has helped a lot.  The bulging disk, on the other hand, has been a different kind of problem.  It is in the lumbar region, so when I stand straight with my shoulders back (yes, like you are supposed to stand), my right leg immediately begins to go numb.  I can twist slightly at the waist and bend just a bit forward, and the tingling goes away.  Sadly, that is a sensation I remember quite well from the three neck surgeries I have had (Except the numbness was in my arm then).  I am not looking forward to another visit with the neurologist or another MRI.  That means I’ll have to pay all of our deductible at one time, and after paying our taxes and insurance in January, we do not have $1500 laying around. 

Trying to be there for Chris as she takes care of Mom’s practical needs and deals with her own array of family ups and downs.  They seem to be close to reconciling her mother’s will, finally.  But now her Dad is having health issues.  Looks like her brother will be making arrangements to move him to Victoria near them.  All those issues have really taken a toll on her.  She a strong one, though.  Gotta love that woman.

Keeping up with the grandchildren developments.  We are still helping take care of Cailyn when Nathan and April both have to work.  We do our best to take in a football or baseball game or two when Jachin and Micah play, or at least be the place where Josiah and Noa can hang out rather than sit around in the weather.  We are poring over our calendar to set aside some visits to Waco to see Zak and Caleb play basketball and to just hold Luke before he gets too big to cuddle with. 

There’s a lot of life to live next year, and we plan to jump in with both feet and enjoy every minute.  Can’t imagine any other way. 

Philippians 3:13-14 says, “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

Father, walk with us next year.  One project at a time.  One day at a time.  Amen.

No comments: