Tuesday, December 24, 2013

December 24 – “Missing the monkeys”

I was walking out of WalMart yesterday when I noticed an older guy with white hair sitting on one of those little benches they have by the door.  I was already in people watching mode.  After all, it was Christmas Eve eve, so there were plenty of people out shopping at the last minute.  And in Galveston the options for where you do that shopping are quite limited.  Anyway, his white hair screamed at me as someone fairly close to my own generation, so I made eye contact and nodded a typical Texas “hey” greeting.  It has been my experience that in most cases people tend to respond quite favorably to simple expressions of greeting.  That response tends to increase dramatically with the age of the responder. 

This guy responded almost immediately with, “You’re Mr. Vaughan, aren’t you?”  Well, there it was.  Again.  Someone recognized and I had no idea where I might even know the guy from.  Happens to me a lot.  Most of the time the person has visited Seaside, but in that case he usually calls me Pastor Kelley.  This was clearly a “Mr. Vaughan.”  I pulled my cart to a stop to engage him in conversation.  I’m always fascinated by where he might know me from.  He introduced himself, but the name didn’t ring any bells at all.  Just as I was about to ask him where in the world he knew me from, he chuckled and said, “You are Nate’s father, aren’t you?” 

OK.  That told me volumes right there.  Only a very few people over the course of his life have actually called my youngest son Nate.   A few basketball teammates.  One guy who used to be a youth worker at Seaside.  One Coast Guard guy who we kind of adopted for a time when he was stationed here in Galveston.  Obviously he was none of those or I would have recognized him right away.  But there is one other point of connection where “Nate” is in common usage.  The fire department.  That’s where I chose to stick my neck out and asked, “So you know him from …”  But he finished my sentence for me.  “… from the fire department.”  Seems this guy retired about the time Nathan came on board at Galveston Fire and Rescue.  I asked him if retirement was suiting him or if he missed anything.  He assured me he had a job that kept him busy, and he added a comment along the lines of “I miss the monkeys but not the zoo.”  I think I understood his meaning.  He talked about the camaraderie of the department and even humbled me a bit when he said he was truly glad the department had a real chaplain.  Little bit of pressure there from the retired guy.  Just what I needed for an early Christmas present.  We talked for a few more minutes, and I’m still not sure how or why he recognized me, but it was good to meet him.  Inspired me.  Maybe I’ll have a chance to get to know some of the other retired guys and learn how I can minister to them as well.  Hmm.

1 Peter 5:5-7 says, “Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’
            Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

Father, walk with the retired fire department guys.  Keep them safe and healthy and worry-free and able to enjoy life.  Oh, and provide them with some “monkeys” to hang out with.  Amen.

No comments: