Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23 – “Looking for Love”

It was a great day at church yesterday.  I had a chance to share the gospel not just with  the whole crowd but also in detail with a young man from Georgia who was attending the first church service that he could remember … ever.  He came in kind of scared about what to expect and what would be expected of him.  Interesting perspective.  He’s heading back to Georgia with a little less fear and a determination to continue his investigation.  Pray for him as God does some drawing work now.

The kids were on again during the Kids’ Sermon.  It was the fourth Sunday in Advent, so the theme for the day was love.  I intended to do a quick run-through of the five love languages written about by Chapman.  But first I asked them what love looked like, how do you show someone you love them?  The answers were amazing.  Very first one was, “You kiss them.”  I asked the little guy to repeat it a bit louder, and he quickly added, “Or maybe hug them.”  Both of those work as expressions of physical touch love.  One little girl shyly squeaked out, “I clean my room.”  And there was number two.  Either she or her Mom has an “acts of service” bent in their love expression.  I helped recognize quality time as an act of love.  It wasn’t too hard, though.  After all, who doesn’t like to have someone spend time playing with them?  It also never occurred to them that actually saying kind words might be a way to show someone they are loved.  That might have been because there was only one girl in the bunch.  Guys are the greatest in the world at communication.  I guess that starts early.  The final one was easy for them, though.  Didn’t need any coaching at all.  It came out of the mouth of the guy who mentioned hugging and kissing, so that one has a head start on making someone a happy wife.  His suggestion?  “Give them a present.”  And immediately we heard as well, “My daddy already gave me a present.”  And “So has mine.”  There you go.  Giving gifts is indeed a way of expressing love. 

And the incredible thing about discovering all those ways of loving?  God has shown us love in every one of those ways.  He became a man (Jesus) so he could spend time with us and physically touch us.  He did some pretty spectacular acts of service in healing and he even washed his disciples’ feet.  In his teachings he spoke some of the kindest words ever uttered.  Things like “My peace I give you,” and “… have everlasting life.”  And he himself became the greatest gift of all time – a baby in a manger who grew up to die and rise again so we could have a love relationship with him and live forever.  Whew.  You literally can’t get any better than that.

John 15:9-14 says, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.  If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”

Father, I am amazed every day at your incredible love.  Thank you.  Amen.

No comments: