Thursday, December 19, 2013

December 19 – “Meanwhile …”

I finally got to go Christmas shopping with Chris.  Jennifer came over to stay with Mom and we headed out to those two icons of Galveston’s retail economy, Target and WalMart.  We found a few things, but we were really glad that Jennifer was able to return for an encore the next day.  I was ever so much the gentleman when lunch time came around.  I offered Chris a choice.  Since we would have two days in a row to have lunch together, she could choose Mexican food (her favorite) or Shrimp n Stuff (my favorite).  Then we would switch the next time.  She chose shrimp.  She loves me.  Guess that means Mexican food is in my immediate future.

Meanwhile, I discovered a new “fun” thing with my right leg.  It has been tingling and almost going numb, especially in the afternoons and most definitely when I have been on my feet a lot.  I decided to try an experiment.  Drawing from my vast array of experience with ruptured and bulging disks in my neck that affected my arms in a similar fashion, I bent and twisted at my waist, trying different positions.  Sure enough, I found a position that stops the tingling immediately.  Looks kind of silly, but it works.  Of course that means another almost guaranteed bulging disk, in my lower back this time.  Not excited about what that means at all.  Trip to Houston for an MRI at the neurologist (which also means having to come up with all $1500 of my deductible at once).  Going through the typical protocol for disks.  Possibly ending in back surgery.  Great fun.  But I hear a voice in my head admonishing me, “Don’t make it a problem until it’s a problem.”  OK.  I’ll wait it out.

Meanwhile, our microwave died.  Chris slammed the door shut and it just gave up the ghost.  No lights.  No sounds.  Nothing.  It’s amazing how we can get so hooked on modern conveniences so quickly and we don’t even know it.  We had to look up in a cookbook how to boil water in a pan on the stove.  Not really, but that would have been the case if I was in charge of the kitchen.  But we do have a new microwave now.  Way to go WalMart.  Way to go, Discover Card.

Meanwhile (and now to the bad news?), in the wee small hours of Wednesday morning (actually it was exactly 3:04 a.m.  I checked), Mom took a tumble coming out of the bathroom.  Chris was almost to her to give her some stability, but she could only get to one arm before Mom lurched forward.  She scratched her back on the door frame on the way down, and hit her head on the closet door in the hall.  When we got her to sit quietly she also said her shoulder was hurting.  After an interlude of just sitting still and getting her bearings, we helped her up and back into bed, wondering what damage was done and how she would be later in the morning.

The next morning we got the fall results.  There was the scratch on her back.  The bump on her head was gone, but there was bruise right over her collarbone.  And that’s what was giving her fits.  Some loud groans and moans followed her wherever she went, so we took her in to have an x-ray.  Thankfully, there was no break of any kind.  But she is really bruised up and will be sore for a few days. 

Meanwhile, Jennifer still came over.  We managed to sneak in a quick trip back to Target and WalMart to finish up our shopping.  We never made it for Chris’ Mexican food, though.  She said she just wasn’t up to sitting down in a restaurant when she knew there was so much going on with Mom.  So Whataburger it was. 

Meanwhile, today we have to prepare for our white elephant party tonight.  Clean house.  Find and wrap our white elephants.  Ah, the holidays.  Ain’t they grand?

Meanwhile, Psalms 103:19 says, “The Lord has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all.”  And that is what matters, after all.

Father, meanwhile, please heal Mom quickly so she can enjoy the company tonight.  She loves the music and the hustle and bustle all around her.  Allow her Christmas joy to win out over her pain.  Amen.

No comments: