Monday, December 16, 2013

December 16 – “Sharing deepest secrets”

When the grandkids were over the other day, they were gathered at the table, so I decided to ask them a question or two.  Of course I had ulterior motives.  I was trolling for ideas for Christmas presents.  It was quite fun, actually.  I started with: “Who is your favorite superhero ever?” 

Jachin: Cyclops.
I have no idea who that is.   He was never in any of the comic books I used to read.  Probably a Marvel Universe fictional creation.

Micah: Iron Man, War Machine, and Falcon. 
OK.  Iron Man I know, but that’s because of the movies.  Never heard of those other two guys.  Again, they have departed the true DC Universe into the fictional realm of Marveldom.

Cailyn: Yoda. 
Finally, someone I have heard of.  Not necessarily one I would have put in the superhero category, though.  But I have to admit it was a mighty creative answer.
Then, fearing she had mixed genres, she quickly added: And Spiderman.
Ouch.  Again, with the Marvel movie answer.  Finally I turned to three-year-old Josiah.

Josiah: All of them.  And then in a sing-songy voice he listed: Batman and Robin and Scooby. 
I interrupted: Wait, you said Batman and Robin and … Scooby?
Josiah: Yes.  But they are not really tough.
Me: Not tough?  Well, who is tough?
Josiah: Me.  I’m tough.  And Hulk.  But sometimes he’s a bad guy.  He fights Spiderman.

And there you have it.  I have been sufficiently educated on the realm of the superhero to the next generation.

Now I have to admit, I did ask another question or two.  About their Mommies.  Now I can’t tell you what all they said, because I have plans for a very special Christmas present based on their answers.  But I know they were excited about sharing such secret information with me.  At least Cailyn was.  Two days later she and I were eating breakfast together.  After she prayed (a very sweet prayer, I might add.  In fact I will include it as the concluding prayer to this blog), she wanted to talk.

Cailyn: Can we talk about those things you talked us about last time? 
Me: What things?
Cailyn: You know.  About my special Mommy.  Only now I want you to say about my special Daddy.
Me: OK.  What is your favoritist thing about your Daddy?
Cailyn: He likes to eat with me on breakfast day.  He likes to take me to the movie.  OK.  Now ask the other one.
Fortunately I remembered this one.
Me: What is something that not many people know about your Daddy?
Cailyn: He has to borrow my Mommy’s boots.  Oh, and he has candy cane leggings.

Well, the candy cane leggings do have a story to go with them.  Something about a costume party and Mommy being a snowman.  But the boots?  You’ll just have to ask him, I guess.  Or April.  I’m not sure I want to know.

Psalms 139:13-14 says, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”

 

Father, thank you for knowing me so well that I don’t have to worry about keeping secrets from you.  Amen.

 

And Cailyn’s prayer: Thank you Jesus, for our food.  We love how you make our food for us.  We love that we get to go to church and learn all about you.  Amen. 

No comments: