Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 17 – “Filthy wet”

I have a lot to look forward to today. Aside from my usual work on Sunday’s sermon I also have to take Cailyn to school, then go to water therapy class and try to live up to my undeserved reputation as “a fireman who loves to be challenged,” then hurry back out to Cailyn’s school for her Snow Day.  Apparently they are going to truck in some man-made snow for the kids to play in.  School officials are really thinking ahead on this one.  They announced that the kids have to bring a change of clothes with them.  No doubt a smart move.  Cailyn is really excited about it.  Her comment the other day when she first told us about it was, “At the snow day at school, we’re gonna get filthy wet.”  Filthy wet.  That’s one I have to remember.  Very descriptive. 

Speaking of Cailyn (and I know I often do, but she just says so much.  Gotta love that female built-in gift of gab), she is just getting over a bout with some kind of sickness.  I think they decided it was an ear infection or something like it.  She brought all her medications with her whenever she came here.  That’s one thing about that girl.  She is very good at the whole taking medicine thing.  Chug-a-lugs it right on down.  And she knows that when she is feeling bad, the medicine is there to help her.  After one particularly rough coughing spasm the other day, she gathered her breath and announced rather weakly, “I got take my anaboxes now.”  Took me a minute, but Chris already had those “anaboxes” in hand (a.k.a. “antibiotics”).  Amazing what miracles God performs through just a few doses of that pink, cherry-tasting stuff.

In Luke 2:12 the angel says, “This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Father, in the midst of such miraculous “signs” as antibiotics and open heart surgeries, help us to recall the most miraculous of signs, that baby wrapped up in warm cloths and lying in a manger.  Amen.

No comments: