Sunday, December 22, 2013

December 22 – “Family is family”

Yesterday was the Vaughan Family Party.  That’s a gathering of my relatives that has been happening for as long as I can remember.  It essentially involves the branches of the family tree that trace back to my Dad’s mother and father.  They were affectionately known as Nani V (for Vaughan, of course) and Gramps.  None of us knew Gramps very well.  He died after a heart attack while I was still quite a tiny twig of a thing.  It is the families of their children who have been gathering for so many years.  My Dad and Mom along with their three boys, his sister, Aunt Betty and Uncle Al and their five boys and one girl, and Uncle Jerry and Aunt Mary and their two girls and one boy.  Add into the mix all the families that came from those children, and you have the makings of one very large gathering at Christmas.  We used to do the whole draw names for gifts thing, but over the years that has evolved into a simple white elephant style ornament exchange.  Dad and Uncle Al and Aunt Mary have all died, and many of the kids have moved far away, from College Station to Florida to Chicago to Maryland to Seattle to Phoenix, and other points I don’t even know about, I’m sure.  What began as a hostess rotation of sorts between Mom and Betty and Mary has been handed down to the next generation.  The crowd is thinner, but the connection is still there.  After all, family is family.

We drove through the most recent monsoon to get to my brother’s house in Houston.  The three remaining “Old Guard” were there: Jerry, Betty, and Mom, although we were an hour and a half late.  It took a long time to get Mom going, and the rain and wrecks along the way really slowed us down even more.  Six of the original cousins made it, and even a few from our third generation graced us with their presence.  None of our kids made it this year.  Too many scheduling conflicts. 

We shared some good tamales and chili and a table full of sweets before doing the ornament exchange.  It was a bit more spirited this year than it has been.  Lots of stealing and trading going on to get at just the right one.  Popular this year were a Navaho bead keychain (Chris got that one), a dog that looked eerily similar to my brother’s (and he got that one), a decorated palm tree (I tried for that one, but Uncle Jerry snared it from me), and a tiny little stuffed fox (don’t know who ended up with it, but I know where to get another one). 

Chris drove us through our neighborhood when we got home so Mom could look at the Christmas lights.  The neighborhood is coming back nicely.  Gonna have to talk to our good ol’ fire chief, though.  No lights on his house.  You could see his tree through the front window, though.  I’ll give him that one.  At least he’s not a total Grinch.  Just kidding, Mike.

We watched a little bit of high school football on TV before heading for bed.  Mom was pretty sore, but I think she slept well last night.  Ah, the holidays.  One more event down.  On to the next.  And that will be … well, church today.  Fourth Sunday in Advent.  Love emphasis.  Then Christmas Eve service on Tuesday at six.  I’m beginning to understand more and more the sentiment of Revelation 22:20 –

“He who testifies to these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming soon.’
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.”

Father, thank you for the families you have given me … all of them.  The one I was born into and had a hand in creating … and the church … and the fire department.  Bring them all happiness this Christmas season.  Amen.

No comments: