Sunday, December 29, 2013

December 29 – “Thinking ahead to … my funeral”

I attended a funeral in Houston yesterday.  It was one of the most unusual I have ever been to.  Well, other than some of the ones I have conducted.  There was no “officiant” as such.  A close family friend started everything off with some reminisces.  Then a business associate shared his thoughts from that perspective.  A sister-in-law then spoke as kind of an extended family representative.  Finally, the son and daughter shared their personal accounts of the journey they had been going through as primary caregivers.  That one was quite funny, by the way.  They have been posting their thoughts on FaceBook over the last few months, and I have been following it.  Very creative stuff.  You could really get a sense of the caring and commitment and appreciation among the family members and close friends.  I did miss hearing about Jesus, though.  Interesting how you come to expect certain things at funerals and weddings and other cultural events, and when they are missing it seems so glaring.

Over the years I have come to a decision about funerals.  They should not be gloomy and weepy at all, but celebratory and expectant.  At least that’s how I want mine to be.  Oh, tears are fine.  There is the element of separation involved, and that certainly leads to grieving.  But that’s where Jesus comes in with his promises of hope, and we’re back to joy and celebration again. 

So … my funeral.  If I was going to be there and have a say in planning it, there are a few things I would consider.  No ties.  Just casual all the way for everyone.  That includes me.  If you’re gonna put a tie on me, I’d better be in my fire department uniform (if I have one by then).  Sing Joy to the World.  Great song at any time of year.  Tell a lot of stories.  They don’t have to be about me; just make them funny.  And food.  Somebody bring donuts to the service.  Have a cup of coffee.  Make some chocolate milk for the kids.  It would be great for my sons or grandkids to do something wildly unexpected.  Be creative, guys.  Maybe someone from Seaside could stand on his head.  Or some University Hills guys could play hacky sack around the coffin.  I never could get good at that.  The South Oaks people could wear fake beards.  Anybody left from Woodland could host a cake decorating contest in the foyer.  And the Langwood clan could sing Christmas carols at the door of the bathroom anytime anyone went in.  Oh, and the folks from Segunda Iglesia Bautista could translate it all into Spanish.

Of course, the bottom line is … I won’t be there at my funeral.  I’ll be doing some celebrating of my own with Jesus.  So I have told Chris and the boys to have a party and not worry about what I would have wanted.  Except for this … what I want is for them to do whatever will best touch their need.    

1 John 5:11-13 says, “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.  I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.”

Father, thank you for the peace that comes from not having to worry about eternity.  I can’t keep up with the worries here on earth, so it really helps to hang on to the eternal perspective.  Amen.

No comments: