Wednesday, December 25, 2013

December 25 – “A Christmas Eve fire”

Structure fire number two is under my belt now, and sadly, it happened on Christmas Eve.  I heard the call on my phone and after listening to the radios for a few minutes, Chris encouraged me to go on.  It took me ten or fifteen minutes to get there, so there were no longer any visible flames when I arrived, which is a good thing.  But the fire was far from out.  Smoke still billowed from the eaves and the vent at the top of the house.

Engines one and two as well as Tower one and rescue truck one all arrived pretty quickly.  Fast enough that two of the rookies were able to experience their first ever “first on the scene” fire.  Will and John both proved themselves admirably, and I suppose crossing that threshold make them “old hands” now.  Still listening in on the radio, it sounded like engine five was next on the scene.  I heard engine four first move to cover for station five, but they soon ended up on the scene as well.  And before long engine seven rolled up along with … wait a minute.  Engine nine?  I am guessing that was a reserve vehicle.  It really turned into an “all hands on deck” fire.

The couple who owned the house lived there alone with their two cats.  They made it out fine quite early on, so the rescue squad could breathe somewhat easier.  The fire wasn’t about to make anything easy, though.  Several of the guys explained to me that because of the “balloon construction” of the house, there was no fire break between the two floors or attic.  That made it possible for the fire to jump quickly throughout the house.  And it reaching the attic made it especially difficult.  Every time they knocked it back, it would return to the floor below and start up again.  Smoke kept billowing from the attic for a long time until some guys were able to get a ladder to the roof, crawl through the thick smoke, and cut a vent hole in the roof.  That apparently pulled the fire away from the walls, and it wasn’t long until the smoke dissipated.  Meanwhile, teams on the ground were struggling with hot spots that kept flaring up.  It was important to get into the locked garage, because there were two vehicles in there.  Fire Chief Wisko was on the scene, and he even suited up in his bunker gear and pitched in to get the doors down and do what could to help.  Battalion Chief Rourke once again did an admirable job coordinating everything.  I was impressed with the work of fire fighter Dixon manning the truck and especially with Captain Varela.  He was able to sense ahead of time just what the guys fighting the fire would need.  By the time they turned to ask for a particular tool, he was already on his way toward them, tool in hand.  I encouraged Captain Varela about just that knack.  He answered, “Thanks, but I’m a captain.  I just wanted to be in there with my guys.” 

After the fire the guys were talking about the specifics of who did what and when and why.  It was fascinating.  They even shared a lot with me and said they appreciated me being there.  They were debriefing each other and educating me at the same time.  It was quite a humbling experience to be allowed into their world for those brief moments.  And it certainly gave me some insight on how to better pray for them and their families. 

Oh, and one final comment from Engineer Anderson summed up the day.  “No one was hurt and we saved both cats.”  And I understand they even used the new pet breathing apparatus on one of them.  That puts the emphasis where it belongs, Cody.  Life and relationships.  Even if the relationships are with cats.  After all, the felines were family as far as that couple was concerned. 

John 11:25-26 says, “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’”

Father, thank you for the life you gave me and for the relationships you have sprinkled into it to make it interesting.  Amen.

No comments: