Friday, June 24, 2011

June 24 – “Joy Alexandra”

 

We had a baby dedication at the house last night.  Joy Alexandra Anderson.  Very cute little one.  Her grandparents were in from Cleveland.  No, that other Cleveland.  The one not in Texas.  We leave for camp this Sunday (Two more days), so they wanted to dedicate her at Life Group.  It was nice, too.  We had kind of a smaller group than usual.  Corey brought Brennan and Cailyn was here, so there were some other youngsters in our midst.  In fact Cailyn decided she wanted to be with good old DadDad, so I held her through the ceremony.  She eventually fell asleep.  Brennan played quietly with his Dad.  Joy never woke up until we were done.  It had a real first century house church feel. 

 

Mom had an omelet for the first time the other day - again.  She's still sleeping a lot during the day.  Doesn't say much.  She got a shock this morning, though.  Cailyn and I were the only ones up.  In her early-morning rounds around the house circle, Cailyn saw Mom's purse.  Suddenly she stopped in her tracks.  "That's MoMo's," she declared.  "Where's MoMo?"  I told her MoMo was still in bed.  So she squared her shoulders as if to say, "We can't have any of this sleeping in.  It's daytime.  It's time to get up.  Get out of the bed."  She marched down the hall.  She turned into Mom's room and declared in her best military voice, "Up MoMo.  Out of bed."  I heard Mom respond.  Something positive like, "Well, good morning.  What are you doing in here?"  Not that she actually got up this time.  Cailyn was ready for new challenges, so she didn't push the issue. 

That's my granddaughter.  Now I'm inspired to do the same for my charges at youth camp next week.  Just have to tune up my ukulele and warm up my worst singing voice.

 

I tried to repair another Ike chair. It was one of two from Mom's dining room set that didn't look too bad after the storm.  As I worked on sanding, one of the legs split right down the middle, long-ways, from bottom to top.  It had been glued and the glue just gave way.  I re-glued it and clamped it and even tried adding a nail or two.  Jury is still out on whether it will hold substantial weight.  Maybe Chris can use it to display one of her dolls or something.

 

While out there I cleaned up the rest of the fishing rods and reels that we salvaged – mine and Dad's and the guy's next door.  There were several good ambassador reels.  Quite a few very good rods, too, perfect for slipping on one of those cheap zebcos when we have friends over.  Now the water just needs to calm down a bit so I can go fishing.  Oh, wait.  MRI this morning.  We have to leave by 8:00.  That gives me ten minutes.  Then to Wharton to meet Mark and pick up Taylor for camp.  Camp in two days.  Guess I can't go fishing anyway.  Unless maybe I can sneak in some time on Saturday.  Strictly to offer Taylor the opportunity of course.  It's not like we'll mess up our clothes that will then need to be washed along with every other piece of clothing we own that we'll need for camp.  Or even that we will need to pack sometime in there.  Maybe eat.  Sleep a bit. 

 

Proverbs 16:9 says, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

 

Father, that verse keeps popping up.  I trust you with my steps.  Forgive some of my plans.  Amen.

No comments: