Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 15 – “The discount card”

 

We made a trip into Texas yesterday.  One of the girls from church had scoliosis surgery at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.  Traffic wasn't bad at all, but finding a parking place at the Medical Center is not easy.  We ended up choosing a building and doing valet parking.  We figured we could walk to wherever we needed to go. 

 

After we dropped off the car we actually asked directions.  Well, Chris asked directions.  Come to find out, "our" building was connected to Texas Children's by a walkover, so we got on the elevator and headed up.  Sure enough, we exited the elevator and the ramp was right there.  In fact, after Chris asked for directions again, we discovered that the place we were looking for was right down the hall.  We met up with Allie's Dad and his family and hung out with them until Allie and her Mom arrived.  Her Mom's family didn't get there for quite awhile so we were glad we were there.  The surgery was scheduled to last at least six hours.  They finally took her into surgery around 3:30, and we left the hospital at 5.  The Facebook post that all was over came through around 10:30.  Allie woke up in pain, but it went well.  Time for the pain meds to do their job so she could get some sleep.  Today she will have to get up and move around and get started on her rehab. 

 

We stopped by Lifeway book store on the way home.  I had to pick up some communion cups for church, and I needed a book to read for the trip to youth camp.  We also picked up a Bible for our niece who is going for the first time.  We leave on the 26th for New Mexico.  When I paid for the books I showed my pastor's discount card as well as one of those frequent flier cards they give out and punch with every visit.  The clerk advised me to used the pastor card and save the other for when I spend over a hundred dollars at a time.  Hmm.  So that's in my future?  She was very sweet, though, and she gave me yet another special rewards card that offered $10 off any purchase.  But it had to be used between March 3 and April 14.  I read it out loud to her.  She smiled sweetly and said, "I'm sorry, that's out of date.  Would you like me to throw it away for you?"  Like I had tried to use it.  Did I mention that she gave it to me?  I managed to stifle my chuckle and simply replied, just as sweetly, "Why thank you."

 

Proverbs 14:29 says, "A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly." 

 

Father, Thank you for fun little interchanges like the one with the discount card.  Helps keep life light.  Amen.

No comments: