Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 12 – “Super heroes on the rise”

 

Zakary's birthday party was a mass of super hero-dom unlike any seen anywhere since the creation of the Justice League of America or maybe, for those of you mired in the throes of that make-believe alternate Marvel-ous universe,  the first time the guy in the wheel chair mysteriously mind-merged with the first class of X-men.  Superman was there in several forms.  One was a tiny baby with a little bitty cape and the requisite "S" on his chest.  One was Caleb with a powerful looking super t-shirt.  One was – and I reveal this on the condition that it be kept under wraps to keep secret identities secret and to protect the loved ones of all concerned from being threatened and potentially harmed by the hordes of super villains out there – me.  I know it is hard to believe I would engage in such a seemingly trivial pursuit, but part of my commitment to the world of not-so-super humans is to make them as happy as I can.  I'm sure Josh was feeling the same altruism when he revealed his own super identity … Super Grover.

 

There were more than a few Spidermen.  One adult walked up with his family in regular clothes and a Spiderman mask.  Josh greeted them by name.  The Spider-dad became somewhat agitated.  He ripped off his mask and shouted, "How did you know it was us?"  Josh handled the situation with grace, as always.  "I saw your wife and made some rash assumptions.  My apologies."  GI Joe was there, dressed in his camouflage fatigues.  A few of the heroes wore capes with their own initials intricately carved on the back.  Zak and Caleb each had one of those.  Their powers were definitely the hardest to pinpoint, for to know their power, you had to know the person.  What was it that turned mild-mannered Zak Vaughan, brand new five year old, into the daredevil Super Z?  And I did notice that public events like this were harder for Caleb.  As the younger one, he hadn't yet learned to properly hide his secret identity.  As a result he was engaging in leaps and dashes and forays into unknown realms with little regard to the presence or absence of his Super C cape. 

 

And I have to mention the girls.  There was one who appeared to be an aspiring Bat Girl, with cape and a mask with stylish wingtips.  But two of the girls were dressed as gorgeous princesses.  They were concerned about their personal lack of super powers, but Christi assured them that princesses were more than welcome.  After all, without the beautiful girls, who would the superheroes have to rescue?

 

Since the party was held at a playground, Christi didn't have to plan any special games.  There was the Spiderman piñata, of course.  And the Batman themed birthday cake.  The kids did have a chance to create their own mask.  She had found some black Zorro-looking masks.  When you scraped at the black, though, it came off and revealed all kinds of colors underneath.  Truly a way to inspire the creation of a whole new generation of super heroes.  Keep your eyes on the sky, folks.  One day you just might need some help, and one of those little ones will come to your rescue.

 

Psalms 25:20-21 says, "Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.  May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you."

 

Father, thank you for being all the super hero I will ever need.  Amen.

No comments: