Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 22 – “In the family”

 

We were teased with the promise of rain yesterday, and we even got a little taste of it.  Enough to inspire Chris to go water the flower beds.  Maybe that will release the torrents.  The weatherman gives us a fifty fifty chance today.

 

The steroid pack hit its full stride yesterday.  So far it hasn't been as disconcerting as it was the last time.  I have decided that's for two reasons.  One is I knew what to expect.  The other is I really think it is evening out the effect of the other medication that makes me drowsy.  Yesterday I had periods where I actually felt somewhat normal.  Not necessarily sane, but normal.

 

I figured out a test for the effects.  If I could stay awake all the way through an early afternoon showing of a movie, then there could be some good come of it.  So we went to see Green Lantern.  But the power had gone off earlier in the day (It did at our house, too, very briefly), and they couldn't get the movie to start up.  Just our particular movie.  All the others worked fine.  When they came in to tell us about it, one college guy asked if they had called Green Lantern for help.  It was great.  Just about every person in the theater solemnly nodded in agreement like that was a completely valid request.  Sadly, however, He was apparently already busy fighting crime at the 3D showing next door.  We were offered tickets to any other movie, but the only one starting within the next hour was Kung Fu Panda II.  Now that would have been a test.  A feature length cartoon.  They put me to sleep in the best of times.  But we decided to get our money back and mourn the loss of our afternoon date at home.

 

Well, I stayed home.  Chris went to Dickinson to the quilt shop.  While she was gone I installed a shelf for her.  It took some doing.  On one side I unexpectedly hit a stud and bent the nail.  Had to start over on that side.  Finally got it up, though.  Now it's waiting for the pics she wants on it.  Grandsons in baseball attire is the plan I think.  We'll see.

 

Mom is not feeling well again.  Chris got her an appointment for this morning at nine.  We thought that would be quite a chore, because she doesn't normally get out of bed before ten.  But when me and my steroids got up at 5 this morning, her light was already on.  She was in bed, but I guess that is one step she won't have to take later on.  Chris volunteered to stay home from camp again this year to take care of her.  She missed last year taking care of her Mom, though, so I'd really like for her to go.  She really likes it.  April and Christina have said they would check in on her and even have her spend the night with them.  We have some great kids.  And one of the families at church said they would help if needed as well.  We have a great family there, too.

 

Galatians 6:9-10 says, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

 

Father, thank you for the family you have gifted us with.  Our kids and our church.  And help us to receive help even when we think we can handle it.  Amen.

No comments: