Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 19 – “Happy Father’s Day”

 

So today is Father's Day.  Actually at our house yesterday was.  Both of our local children brought their families over for a fish fry.  We finished off some filets we had left in the freezer from a past deep sea fishing excursion and from a few semi-successful beach front cast sessions.

 

So what makes a Father's Day a good one?  Well, fried fish doesn't hurt, but I have to say those grandkids sure do bring a sense of accomplishment.  I know I didn't have much to do with their everyday development, except maybe for the time we kept Micah while his Mom and Dad both worked and Cailyn when her Dad worked and Mom was in school.  But if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't have had the Dads they do.  I'm not sure whether to apologize to them or beam in pride at that statement, but those boys turned out to be some pretty good kids in their own right.

 

So back to the little ones. 

 

I caught Cailyn swinging on the door knobs the other day.  She was just the right height to grab the doorknob on each side and kick off the wall.  I started to say something, but it looked really fun.  And it wasn't nearly as dangerous as some of the stuff her Daddy used to try.  I also asked her to pick up a few raisins that she dropped.  So she did.  With her feet.  The first one she just handed me – or footed me.  The second one she decided she was still hungry, so she put it in her mouth.  Not an easy task, mind you.  You try it.  Oh, wait.  It might be a little dirty.  Too late.

 

Micah comes up with some of the most random things I have ever heard.  Like that time he called me on the phone and asked if the bait shops in Galveston had worms.  It took me awhile to decipher that he was really asking about worms, and he was saddened to hear that bait shops in Galveston wouldn't have them.  But, ever undeterred, he asked if we had any in our yard.  I said we might and he instructed me to go dig them up.  Right then.  He just wanted some worms to watch.  Strictly an educational request. 

 

Josiah has taken over as the youngest, but he doesn't look like he will be the smallest for very long.  The little guy is big.  Best part about being around him is that he always seems genuinely happy to see me.  His eyes light up and he comes right to me with a big hug and a giggle waiting to happen.  He even says my name – DadDad.  Drives Chris batty.

 

Caleb was the youngest, but no one ever told him he has been supplanted.  His world is always in motion with new and exciting things all around.  He's the one who loves being wrapped up in a blanket.  Not to snuggle up and get warm.  No.  Caleb then wants two of you big people around to grab an end of the blanket and swing him like he's in a hammock.  Like the hammock is outside on a windy day.  Like maybe in a hurricane.  He loves it when the blanket flips completely over.  Ah, what a rush.  Maybe his Mom will take him on a roller coaster soon. 

 

We went to watch Jachin's swimming lessons the other day.  We heard his swim teacher, a young man in his early 20's, say, "How many times do I have to tell you?"  Yep.  He really said that.  Wonder how many times his mom had to tell him?  Chris heard that one and bristled.  She leaned over to me and said, "Did you hear that?  That's my grandson.  I can say that to him but he can't."  I thought, well, the joke's on him.  Jachin wears earplugs to protect his damaged ears.  So he can't even hear the admonition.  But then I realized that the joke was on me.  Apparently Jachin forgot to put his earplugs in.  But his dad took care of that one.  Strangely enough, after the ear plug installation, the teacher was much nicer.  Jachin called the other day to ask if we happened to have any more books in the "Door Within" series that he could read.  He had just finished the second one and was ready for the next one.  Very adult sounding request.  I assured him we had the next one in the series and he could pick it up at his earliest convenience.  Very adult sound response.  Ah, the joys of being the oldest. 

 

I got a Father's Day card in the mail from Zak and Caleb.  They each drew a picture for me, and their Mom added captions to explain them.  Caleb's simply said, "It's me."  Looked just like him.  Zak's story was a bit more involved, however.  The illustrations matched the story line perfectly, though.  Here's his words: "DadDad likes silly things, right.  So I'm gonna draw him a silly picture.  It's a Daddy coming down from his attic and sees his child has thrown up below him and now he can't get down and he's not very happy about that situation."  Now there's a Pulitzer prize candidate if I ever heard one.

 

Proverbs 15:20 says, "A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish man despises his mother."

 

Father, thank you for my grandkids.  My sons have sure brought me joy through them.  Amen.

No comments: