Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20 – “Communication Age”

 

Today is once again neurologist day.  I'm going to get checked out concerning the tingling and numbness I have been having in my left arm.  It's a way too familiar feeling.  And it has resulted in surgery every other time I have had it.  Definitely not something I look forward to at all.  Not to mention that I have to be there (in Houston) by 9:00.  That means we have to leave by 7:15 or 7:30 and hope the traffic going into Houston isn't too bad. 

 

Ah, the joys of living in the Communication Age.  After we had Father's Day on Saturday I was pleasantly surprised to be contacted Sunday as well by each of my boys.  And each one chose a different means of communication.  One sent me a text message.  Another posted on FaceBook, and the third gave me a call and put me on speaker phone.  Any guesses which son did which contact? 

 

I saw an ad on TV the other day for an IPhone at $49.  I casually mentioned it to Chris.  She surprised me by saying she had no problem with me getting a new phone.  But the offer was for the IPhone 3G.  Then I found out that the newer IPhone 4G has an extra camera on it that enables video teleconferencing.  That means you can see who you are talking to.  Now that would be a plus for grandparents with little dudes who live far away.  Chris was definitely intrigued by that option.  But then yesterday I heard that the IPhone 5G would probably be out soon.  So what would it possibly be capable of doing that the 4G couldn't do?  Maybe it will be able to take the words you speak and turn them into print media.  That way you could still text people and not have to look at the screen.  Wait.  That would just be talking on the phone, wouldn't it?  But I could just speak my journal entries and it would type them for me.  Then I would just have to say "Post it," and I would be done.  That would be helpful.  But how would it know to capitalize certain things?  Or how about those certain times in literary creations when you want something to be spelled wrong to make a point?  Or how about … you know what?  I think I'll stick to books.  There's nothing quite like them.

 

Proverbs 15:33 says, "The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor."

 

Father, I want to be wise before honored.  Guess that means loving you and being humble before men.  Help.  Amen.

No comments: