Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4 – “Not Relaxed”

 

Not relaxed.  As it worked out, today proved to be less that opportune for encouraging absence of stress.  At the end of the worship service Josh made the big announcement that he and his family will be moving to San Antonio at the end of October.  He has been called to be the minister to young adults and administrator of community ministry ministries at First Baptist Church in San Antonio.  That's a mouthful. 

 

He has been contacting several people over the course of the last few weeks to let them know ahead of time.  Of course everyone's reaction has been different, ranging from anger to sadness.  Some have cried.  I heard some of the teenagers tonight teasing him about abandoning them.  All very good-natured.  By far my favorite response, though, has to be what they told us Zakary said when they explained it to him.  "A lot of people in Mansfield already know about Jesus.  We need to go to San Antonio because a lot of people there need to hear about Jesus.  We need to go tell them."  Now that's impressive.

 

We spent most of the morning out in the yard trying to make it presentable enough to lure potential home buyers.  They have an area in the back yard with one of those big plastic kids' playgrounds on it.  He put a boatload of mulch under it.  Over the course of time grass has begun to take it over.  Today we attacked that grass.  It wasn't too bad.  Then we had to clear out the cracks in the concrete porch.  All of this we did by hand, on our hands and knees.  I'm feeling that right now.  My finger joints have joined forces with my knees and back. 

 

While Josh and I were tearing out speck of grass and losing parts of our fingers, he began to wax philosophical.  He was pondering grass.  He felt like grass was pretty amazing.  It could find the tiniest cracks and force its way through.  I asked him what would be his spiritual application.  Guess I put him on the spot.  He stammered and stuttered.  He talked a lot better when he was trying to get through his public resignation yesterday.  I suggested one for him.  Maybe … Don't let anyone say that they don't have enough skill to do something for God.  He's God.  He can take the smallest thing you offer him and make it burst through until it takes over and becomes the most prominent characteristic in your life.  Josh had no further comment.

 

We took Christi out to eat for a Mexican food lunch.  She was interviewing in San Antonio on her birthday, and Chris was at her Mom's, so this was our first chance to do something.  We hoped to see some more old friends, but when we called we found out they wouldn't be able to.  He's recovering from a couple of surgeries.  She's about to have a medical procedure done in the morning, so tonight is her night to "get cleaned out."  She assured us that we really didn't want to be around her. 

 

We pulled out the maps to seek out new routes and new civilizations to observe and interact with.  I think Fredericksburg is in our sites.  Not sure what may be between here and there.  I hope the pollen count is not as high there as it is here.  We had to buy some benadryl to supplement my Claritin-D.  Ah, Texas in the Fall.

 

Psalms 61:1-2 says, "Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.  From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I."

 

Father, you have created some pretty amazing things.  I sure hope someday it becomes easier to enjoy them when my allergies act up.  Amen.

 


No comments: