Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 31 – “A is for …”

Lots of prayer.  There was a lot of prayer going on today related to Seaside.  I could really tell a difference.  Even at discernment meeting.  We started out at 9:15 with three of us.  By the time we finished around 9:45 there were five.  Doesn't sound like much, but it only takes two or three.  

 

We finally left for home after church at around 2:10.  That wouldn't have been so bad, but we had to be back at 3 for Experiencing God.  We have 17 signed up to do the study.  That's a large group.  And because it's so large, it will be tough to keep everyone interested and focused.  We will have to be creative, I'm sure.  As it turned out, I didn't show the video for lesson one.  There wasn't enough time after we did the relationship building things.  They were definitely needed, though.  The large group also makes for some interesting dynamics.  It'll be fun to see who rises as leaders among the group.

 

Today was also Halloween. And around our neighborhood that means a lot of kids going trick-or-treating.  We always have a party and give away Bibles and other Christian books along with the candy.  We got home at 5:00.  People started arriving at 5:30.  I had to order 7 pizzas online, and wouldn't you know it, Papa John's chose now to change the format of their website. It took even longer to figure out how to navigate it.  I also had to do this journal page, but I put that off.  Instead I just took note son some ideas.  

 

Every year I choose some random costume to be the grand prize winner of the year.  It could be anything.  One year it was a fireman.  I didn't think we'd get one, but one little guy finally showed up.  This year, though, I wanted to make it a bit easier to win.    I decided that this year's special winners would be determined by the alphabet.  Anyone with a costume figure that started with an "A" would get special treat.  Anybody with a "Q" would get something really special. 

 

Little did I know how hard this one would be.  I even asked kids what their costume was, hoping they would say "angel," or "apple," or "alcoholic" (I was getting desperate.  I got excited more than a few times.  Problem was, do you have any idea how much like an angel a fairy looks?  Or Tinkerbell?  Or a princess?  Pretty soon I had just about given up hope.  Finally, though, after hundreds of false alarms, I looked up and saw them.  Not one but two of them.  Avatars.  Thank you once again, movie theaters.  I made them say out loud what they were, and then I grabbed a package of candy and started shoving it to them.  

They thought I was a little crazy, but kids were stopping everywhere to pick up the spilled candy.

 

We had a lot of fun.  Hundreds of kids came by, and we gave out a lot of candy and two little booklets we gave away at Easter on handling fear. 20 or 30 people were here for the party.  Spread it around.

 

2 Thessalonians 3:1 says, "Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you."

 

Father, thanks for each little kid you sent by the house tonight.  Amen.


No comments: