Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October 19 – “The Meeting”

 

We got Mom all signed up for water exercise.  It's officially not water therapy any more.  Medicare won't cover it.  Now she pays $75 a month for 3 times a week doing the same thing.  Not too bad.  Better than a health club.

 

Kel called and asked if I was going to the Galveston Baptist Association meeting today.  He had to be there, so I agreed to go with him.  It's one of those business meeting things for the group of Baptist churches in Galveston County that cooperate to do ministry.  Not my favorite Tuesday afternoon and evening activity.  

 

It was held at a church in Dickinson.  They have a school on site as well.  Same one that I used to coach against when Nathan was playing basketball.  I had a really hard time staying awake in the afternoon session.  The preacher was good, but I couldn't get interested in all the reports.  I had a book of crossword puzzles, and that helped some, but I still dozed off for awhile.  They provided supper.  The chicken was really good.  The green beans with bacon were worthwhile.  There was also some kind of mush that Kel said was from India.  I tried it, but couldn't get past the consistency.  Reminded me too much of grits.  The salad was unusual as well.  Actually the salad was kind of nasty.  It had some kind of mush in it, too, topped with sour cream and tomatoes and other stuff that should have been sitting on a baked potato somewhere.  No one sat at our table, so Kel and I got to talk a lot.  That was a definite plus.

 

The evening session started out with singing like I haven't heard in a long time.  In fact it was so slow that I'm surprised we aren't still on the chorus.  Blessed Assurance and How Great Thou Art are great songs.  But they are exciting.  We wanted to speed things up.  A lot.  Made me once again appreciate Lanny. 

 

One of the speakers said that we shouldn't desire "manly wisdom."  Just what is "manly wisdom"?  Is it different from "womanly wisdom"?  Is it wisdom that pumps iron?

 

I texted Chris a few times.  My phone is on that setting where it guesses what you might want to say to save you time.  She asked me something about the Gideons, and when I answered I tried to type "Gideons."  It came up "Hideoms."  That sounds like some evil way of speaking in an obscure part of the world.

 

The keynote speaker was great, though.  Definitely worth the whole day.  He was from a really fast growing Hispanic church in San Antonio.  They do a lot of community ministries in creative ways.  I talked to him after the session and asked if I could give Josh his name.  He seemed excited to meet him and work with him.  I think Josh could get a lot of help from him.  

 

Romans 13:12-13 says, "The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light."

 

Father, bless that guy from San Antonio.  And bless Josh through him.  Amen.


No comments: