Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12 – “Way to go”

 

We got a text late last night that one of the little babies in the church (Brennan) was having a surgical procedure done early this morning.  I texted back to get the details, but didn't get they answer until about eight this morning.  The surgery was to begin at six at John Sealy.  So Chris and I hopped in the car and headed over there.  About the time we were parking the car, we got another text that surgery had just ended and Mommy (Janell) was going back to give the baby a bottle.  We made it up to the waiting room in time to sit with the Daddy (Corey) for awhile.  Brennan was doing great already.  He was wide-eyed as they pushed him through the halls and back to a room.  The instructions were that they could go home as soon as he was awake, ate, and wet a diaper.  By the time the bed wheels were locked, he had done all three.  The nurse did her vital signs and checkup, and sure enough, she came back in a few minutes with his marching orders for home.  We never heard him cry even once.  Way to go Brennan.

 

I had lunch with our youth pastor/sheriff guy Mike.  We haven't had a chance to sit down and talk for a very long time.  Mike is a CSI guy, and he would probably do well even on Criminal Minds as a profiler.  He probably knows me better than anyone in Galveston except Chris.  He was one of the first to catch the vision of the church that has become Seaside.  He filled in for me by teaching for the last few weeks.  We talked for two hours about his concerns for the church and the messages God has given him for the church.  I asked him at one point if he was done yet.  Did he still have some more to share with the church?  Kind of threw him at first.  He finally said he did, but wasn't sure when.  He had some great insights into why I do things the way I do.  I shared some others with him.  We talked about the things that God wants to do next and how we can best get in on that.  We're both looking forward to the Experiencing God study coming up.  You know, I think he loves that church almost as much as I do.  It's great to have encouragement like he gives and affirmation through him of the call God gave me.  Way to go Mike.

 

I haven't felt much better physically today.  I think I'm in the middle of my usual yearly bout with allergy-instigated fluish symptoms.  My joints haven't eased up much either.  But when Mike hugged me he did it surprisingly gently.  When I got home Cailyn was here, and she met me at the door laughing and glad to see me.  Chris gave me a hug this afternoon that said "I love you" without words being spoken.  Perspective.  It's good to be reminded of the things that really matter.  Way to go God.

 

Psalms 19:8 says, "The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.  The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes."

 

Father, thank you for the perspective check today.  Amen.


No comments: